help with kitchen stuff

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
eweinstein

help with kitchen stuff

Post by eweinstein »

My daughter, now 17, loves to cook and has a completely nonfunctional left arm. We are looking for ways to get a lasagna pan out of the oven with ease and also drain a pot of boiling water with pasta. Any ideas? What do you all do?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: help with kitchen stuff

Post by Carolyn J »

Mom,
I suggest you post this question on the "Adults With OBPI" forum also because we adults post our how toos there too. just type in the search box the subject or phrase and the topic posts will come up for you. I'll try to bump some up for you on How too".

Also there is a terrific book called "One Handed in a 2 Handed World" the author name escapes me atthis minute :(....Amazon has it.

We have very tried and true methods for almost everything including how to do a pony tail ourselves...some strategies are comical and it's good to laugh too.

Lasagna pan... I usually put it on top of a cookie sheet and have mastered the art of picking it up from the oven rack i handed in the middle of the cookie sheet.

pouring boiling pot of water... In the left, I have an extra long mitt comes way up my arm, I balance my left arm under the handle and use my right "good " hand as usual. I have a also strengthed my good hand over the years to do it one handed but i have very small kitchen so i can make it to my sink ok.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74++++ ;)

PS...Everyone is welcome on any of the Forums.
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Re: help with kitchen stuff

Post by djk »

i had one of these handle/pan setups prior to my accident. i was living in florida and bought it at a big lots store. only hitch is you have to be strong enough to lift the pan with one arm. i also find that clean up is easier if i line the pan with a decent piece of alum foil.
small_grill_pan.jpg
small_grill_pan.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 3018 times

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 am.