motorcycles and BPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

motorcycles and BPI

Post by bill de brooklyn »

I had my injury in 1968 and at the time my doctors told me that my injury was similar to the BPI of a motorcycle rider ( I was hit by a car while riding a bicycle). I see that a number of people on this board were injured while riding a motorcycle. My question is had you heard about the link between motorcycles and Brachial Plexus injuries before you rode a motorcycle?
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Re: motorcycles and BPI

Post by thebrain »

No, I hadn't, and I feel like I knew more about the potential hazards of riding and was a more careful rider than most people are. For those who aren't familiar, I was hit by another motorcycle rider who didn't know what the ____ he was doing and blew his corner entry, locked up his brakes, and wound up in my lane. Can't claim it was 100% his fault though, if only because I don't remember it...
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Never even heard of a BPI before my motorcycle accident and I had been around alot of riders and seen a few accidents,broken collar bones/shoulders and ankle/leg injuries seem to be the most common.I wish there was more awareness about this injury amongst motorcycle riders not that it would have stopped me from riding had I known before hand,you know the risk of injury is greater simply because aside from the helmet there isn't a whole lot of protective gear to choose from and what is available still leaves alot of the body vunerable.For myself riding a motorcycle was something I knew I would be doing as long as I was able and had my injury been anything else aside from quad or parapalegic I would be riding right now and will probably make an attempt to ride again someday.Sorry to babble on but this obviously hits home I think for motorcyclist and BPI the more information that gets out and the better the technology gets there will be more protective gear available to help prevent this injury.Until then the most we can do is ride safe and smart.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You Other bikers make me smile ;) :D
I drove a bike with birth erbs for years :shock: :D YOU APSOLuty can ride again ;) , If you want, ;) :D ITs tough living a Evil Con-Evil type of life I guess??? :shock: :roll: ;) :D You just need to give yourself Sack To Adapt :roll: Its more about the trys than the outcome, You never really Fail by trying?? :roll: I think :shock: ;) Life time of both :shock:
Tom :shock:
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

I hadn't heard of it either until I was hit by a car. But when I arrived at the hospital it seemed everyone except me knew of the link between wheels moving fast & a body being thrown at speed. I know it would not have prevented me from riding but it would have been nice to know that an injury could be permanent. up until the accident, I thought the worse that could happen was a broken bone. I still ride & was a member of the US Disabled Cycling Team from '92 - '96.
pjc10387
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BPI on the right shoulder due to a motorcycle accident i stretch 4 of 5 nerves the same nerve that work hand movements and that good ole funnybone was not injured luckly. accident date was July 27 2009 corrective surgery was february 2010 I went in for a muscle transfer and to reconnected nerves at mayo clinic

Post by pjc10387 »

It is allways possible. To rider it how bad do you want it. I got back on again. Unfortuneatly I got into an accident due to the other driver. It is what it is I came out untouched except for the normal soarness from doing a front flip and land on you ass/back area. Other than that I felt acomplished after I learn that it is still possible now since the bike got totaled. I'm takeing time off. Riding is such a passion of mine that I will eventually take the risk again.

If you fail while trying keep on. But if you don't try you won't be able to fail but you will never have the chance to acomplish your goals. So if there is something you want dont stop till you get it.

For you wondering what you would practice on I was able to use a friends stunt bike with raisers and dirtbike handlebars. I ended up buying a 2011 Yamaha fz8 the next day. I was lucky not having to customize the gas and brake but for people that have no movement there is equipment out there and or can be made. Do your research and get out there.
billvxii
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Sept 15,2011. R BPI. R Scapula break. 4 Clavicular breaks. T4 & T8 vertebrae breaks.All ribs broken. 4 replaced with titanium ribs.351GRE8

Post by billvxii »

I had ridden for 40 yrs in seven different states and I had never heard of this. I follow several mags and nothing about this was ever said.
When I got to the trauma hospital, I have been told, the Physical Therapist came in lifted my arm dropped it, looked at my sister and said 'Yep, still doesn't work'. That was the extent of care for BPI. When I got to the care hospital the neurologist said 'Its going to hurt but you'll heal in a year or two'. My own research found BPI and Mayo Clinic, Dr Spinner and team, and facts to follow. I have had surgery, muscle replacement, and am in recovery.
I have written a letter to Rider Magazine about this and asked them to print. I expressly said that it should never stop someone from riding but at least if this happened to a rider they would have information to follow that I didn't.
I think this is more important than which jacket or helmet to buy or what road is fun to ride and creates a great disservice to readers not disseminating the information. We'll see.
Sergio DA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BPI right side, complete loss of movement and feeling(except the Neuropathic Pain), happened October 2001 due to Motorcycle Accident. Surgery deemed too risky.

Post by Sergio DA »

No, had never heard of it before i had my accident, i have been told that a "collar" or Leatt Brace could have significantly reduced the severity of my injury. It seems that there is little or no awareness for this type of injury and/or its relationship to bike riders. One thing positive about this, my best friend who races ATV's, never races with out a Leatt brace.
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

hi,
i had not heard of the injury. i was concerned about protecting my self, though. i had a jumpsuit riding suit on which had kneepad, elbow and shoulder cups. the suit did over an option of kevlar inserts to protect the upper back and shoulder region, which i did not buy. as it turns out, that 4" tree branch struck right at the scapula, which would have been covered by the kevlar had i bought the inserts. so, by a quirk of fate the accident happened in the least protected area of my body. just dumb luck, huh? and, to top it all off, i though prior to the accident that i was so well protected, i rode with assurance. crazy me.
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

How is everyone? Im ok and I hope everyone is well. Shoulderpads.