Reteaching your brain to heal.....

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
OzzyJohn

Reteaching your brain to heal.....

Post by OzzyJohn »

Hi everyone - It's been a while since I have visited, decided to take a break from my tbpi and get my mind busy on something else for a while as it's coming up to 3 years since my accident.

For the past 6 months I haven't had the inclination to go to the gym or do my "home" exercises - I had a nerve conduction test last month and the results were pleasing to say the least, the 7 nerve connections that the surgeon had rewired to my C7 (my C5 &C6 were avulsed) were all showing good conduction.

All the muscles that I was told were a "0" before surgery were now a "3" with the tricep at "4". My main issue at the moment is that I have built up the tricep itself but due to the rewire I need to retrain my brain to find the new path to using it instead of engaging my bicep as the first movement.

Has anyone else been here and could pass on some techniques or ideas to help my brain find the new nerve path and movements?

Thanks in advance

John
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Re: Reteaching your brain to heal.....

Post by Dan »

Hi John,

I had my surgery over 25 years ago, so might be a bit fuzzy but close. I had the intercostal to bicep. I originally had to breath deep to get the bicep to fire but sneezing or coughing it fired on its own.

After some period of time, I was able to get the bicep to move without breathing deeply and can now move the bicep even breathing out. One thing I don't have control over is if I cough or sneeze, bicep still jumps. So a certain part of it the brain changed the "routing"of nerve, on the other hand, my bicep is still connected to the involuntary breathing nerves and they will fire how they were intended.

Others might have a different experience as they have newer surgeries and different nerves grafted than I did, I hope this helps a little.

Dan