Nerve pain from thyroid medicine

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Heddip

Nerve pain from thyroid medicine

Post by Heddip »

I realize this is a rare issue, but wanted to post it in case anyone else is having increased pain from an unrelated treatment.

I was taking thyroid medicine for the last 10 years without problem (for low thyroid), and suddenly started having horrible stabbing/burning nerve pain again--as bad as when I first hurt my arm. It was very frustrating, since my pain has been manageable for years.

The doctors didn't believe it could be my thyroid medicine, but I quit having pain when I didn't take it. So, I finally just quit taking it, but had all the symptoms/problems of low thyroid come back.

Finally, I tried a supplement my naturopath had me on at one time, that has not thyroid, but stimulates your natural thyroid production. I am now mostly pain-free, and have normal thyroid numbers.

That is all to say, don't believe your doctors when they are telling you something you know is wrong. We know our bodies better than anyone, and have to fight for what we need for them. If I had listened to the doctors, I would still be taking narcotics every night to help deal with the unbearable pain.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Nerve pain from thyroid medicine

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi,
To have the Passion to challenge Doctors is A Most. I know in my life time how many times doctors said take something and then I got a call from WAllgreens about a BAD DRUG mix :evil: I really believe, to Me? :shock: That whether be a Pill or Treatment for your limitations, Its best to play 20 QUESTION with any THING ;) AND POSSIBLE OUTCOMES :roll: :shock: Peace of Mine is all - so important to do, Passion is very important in trying to , So many have it Here ;) :D

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

YOU know what SCARY here? :shock: If you ask a Question you might find a New Treatment and Find new direction to try, WE CAN ONLY HOPE ;) :D
Mr Positive , I really do have a Crystal ball when talking from the past :shock: Your never to late ;) , You just haven't heard of the new treatments yet, Or maybe you did Hear ;) :D
Tom
NZBandit
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a motorcycle accident in 1985 where i recieved brachial plexus palsy break which effected my right arm. The result from this was i had my right arm amputated above the elbow in 1986.
in my later years i have been getting overuse syndrome in my left arm.

Post by NZBandit »

Can you tell me more about your symptons you were getting. what thyroid medication you were on and what supplement your naturopath has you on now.

I have had a brachial plexus injury for over 24 years now and also have had my thyroid removed some 17 years ago and recently ( last 6 years have had nerve pain issues in my left only good arm) have noticed at time depending how regular i am taking my thyroid medication that pain increased.

Found this interesting.
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

The only symptom I was getting was greatly increased pain in my BPI arm--back to the level when the injury first happened 14 years ago. I've had very moderate pain for the last 7 years, so was pretty upset to have it return. I didn't have any issue with my good arm.

They tried a wide range of thyroid meds on me at the time, levothyroxin, armour & naturoid, but all caused pain.

The supplement I take now is Thyrocsin, by Thorne Research. It helps your body convert T3 into T4. I don't know if it can work if your thyroid was removed, but it can't hurt to check with your doctor.

Apparently, thyroid medicine can increase the symptoms of other conditions, since it speeds up the activity in your body. So make sure you're tested for other issues. If something else is causing nerve pain, the thyroid can make the nerves fire more quickly.

Good luck--I hope this helps!
Jaboo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Adult onset right arm/shoulder/parthand bp Traction, complications include carpal, muscle strain,
Inflmtn, limit range of motion. stemming from c4,5 T1. Diag took 10yrs so i have seen it all and just now realize the puzzle.

Post by Jaboo »

Hi, i am new here and this was interesting having hypo (low) n take a smaller.137
Brand Only abbott roid that will 90% control and maintain for about 3 yrs before next bump. Were you on any other meds? Most here probably are aware of the impact of prednisone and mostly all derivatives including allergy or pain meds, so forth. I also have had long term bp issues and the thyroid does flare.... Left side for me needs to be probed every few years too. It is hereditary to many plexus patients i think.

Thank you, jaboo
"The greatest temptation in life is to confuse your dreams with reality. The permanant defeat of life comes when you surrender your dreams to reality" - james michener, The Drifters.
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

I wasn't taking anything else on a regular basis, just as needed for pain. I tried quitting all my other supplements, but the pain didn't go away until I quit the thyroid.

That doesn't mean you'll have this problem. I think my body wasn't absorbing the thyroid properly. My numbers were perfect, but I still had low thyroid symptoms. Now I feel much better, even though my numbers aren't quite as good. Strange :)
Jaboo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Adult onset right arm/shoulder/parthand bp Traction, complications include carpal, muscle strain,
Inflmtn, limit range of motion. stemming from c4,5 T1. Diag took 10yrs so i have seen it all and just now realize the puzzle.

Post by Jaboo »

So Strange. With the pain meds they can cause the thyroid to reject the pig hormones from traditional brands/generics. Usually we need the relief, so its simply monitoring levels. It is also strange that no formulatiom of the thyroid meds helped. One suggestion, will seem odd, get your AFP marker bloodwork tested. It is actually a cancer
marker (alphafeto protein) can be found in infants and adults- in men very high levels point to organ ie liver, or testes in younger males. best safe, right. Ps. I am not trying to scare anyone!! it is only one marker yet it can be useful for doctors to know, esp w thyroid conditions and prevention of other issues. Thanks for sharing this one...
"The greatest temptation in life is to confuse your dreams with reality. The permanant defeat of life comes when you surrender your dreams to reality" - james michener, The Drifters.