10K Mud Run Pics

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

10K Mud Run Pics

Post by Dan »

I posted a few weeks back I was signed up for this mud run and I just did it this past weekend. It was more a military style obstacle course with the main mud pit right at the end of the 10k. There were a bunch of things to climb/jump over and some things to crawl under as well, with the first half of the run really up hill, the first part was the hardest just because it was three miles up hill. The one thing I was wondering about was the wall climb at the end, as I ran towards it, one of the people helping said I could just run around, no way......I just asked the guy to give a little pressure to my left side, which is all I needed to provide a little leverage on the left side but I didn't need any lifting help and up and over in no time. You can see my buddy on the left, I beat him over.

All the pictures are right at the end, there were nine others before these in the first five miles but the family couldn't get there to take any pictures.

This was the first mud run I have done and I plan to do at least omne more this year, probably the muddy buddy, would be cool to do it with another bpi'er.

Hope a few more people will post pics of the events they are doing this year too, I'll keep putting things up, next up for me is some waterskiing in two weeks.
IMG_8957-1.jpg
IMG_8957-1.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 10194 times
IMG_8960-2.jpg
IMG_8960-2.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 10192 times
IMG_8961-1.jpg
IMG_8961-1.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1

Re: 10K Mud Run Pics

Post by Dan »

Few more..
IMG_8962-1.jpg
IMG_8962-1.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 10192 times
IMG_8963-1.jpg
IMG_8963-1.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 10192 times
IMG_8969-1.jpg
IMG_8969-1.jpg (154.44 KiB) Viewed 10194 times
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

AMAZING,INSPIRATIONAL,MOTIVATIONAL...DAN YOU ARE TRULY THE MAN! BEAUTIFUL WHAT MORE CAN I SAY,I LOVE IT!
siobby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born 14/10/10 with shoulder dystocia as a consequence has brachial plexus palsy of the left side. He has no elbow flexion or supination. Exploratory surgery on 30/03/11 found significant neuroma's to C5 & C6. Nerve Grafts were required and we are now anxiously awaiting results.

Post by siobby »

Brilliant, I love this!! Gives me great comfort to know these injuries don't tend to hinder anybody....my baby boy will be just fine!!

Thanks for sharing
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

THANK YOU,DAN!!
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
I LOVE the pictures & hope you find a BPI-er partner for the next one.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/72++++

PS Are you on Facebook??
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

AWESOME!!! good job!!! it looks like a lot of fun!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Congrats Dan!!! Great job!
Looked challenging, yet fun.

Love that you did this, and I must say... I'm a bit jealous ;)

Please count me in for next time. BPI Team would rule!

I was going to try the Warrior Dash ( www.warriordash.com ) with a buddy of mine last month, but pulled out because I didn't think I'd be around to do it. He had a blast and said there was a great showing of people in the event. It might be a bit heavy on the "party" side, but in the very least it'll test you hard!

Cheers!
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

that looks super fun.. i have a cousing doing tough mudder soon... which looks fun... im just not in shape for it lol
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Great going Dan! You are a great role model for all those bpi injured who think our injury stops them from doing the things, in life, that we dream of.

When I was young the managers of sports teams ect. Just never gave us a chance.....now the sky is the only limit.

My son did this after his triathlon last year and I thought he was nuts... Until I realize how much he enjoyed the Run A Muck. He is planning on doing it with his wife this year....

So I guess it's on to the Iron Man for you next?

Congrats! Thanks for sharing all the pictures with us.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Hi,

Just wanted to follow-up on a few comments.

I post some of the sporting events I do and hope the others I know that are doing sports post as well to help the "newer" injured people realize that you can still do sports and do them at a very high level. We are out there living life and sports is a big part of that, especially for me and a number of others.

Carolyn: Yes,I am on Facebook, I don't post much, but I am there. I post more on here than any other place.

Chris: That Warrior Dash looks very similar, likethe Gladiator Rock'n Run, they all look fun, I like the warrior on better than the one I did because they give you beer afterward:) Here is the one we need to do together, since it is a team and we can do it together: http://muddy-buddy.competitor.com/event ... s-angeles/ The guy that organizes it is the same guy that helped start CAF, you met him when we were in San Diego.

I'll keep mentioning it and hope others follow-along, but post up those pictures of you out there doing your sports.

Dan