ANY NEW SUCCESS STORIES?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

ANY NEW SUCCESS STORIES?

Post by ArmStrong »

4 MONTHS POST ACCIDENT...GOING FOR EVALUATION ON THE TENTH OF THIS MONTH...I HOPE I CAN BE FIXED!!!....I SURE DO MISS USING MY ARM! ALL THIS NICE CALIFORNIA WEATHER...I SHOULD BE RIDING MY BIKE..HAS ANYONE HAD THIS INJURY AND BEEN ABLE TO EVENTUALLY RIDE THEIR MOTORCYCLE AGAIN?..DON'T GET ME WRONG I WOULD GIVE UP ALL FORMS OF TRANSPORTATION FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE JUST TO GET MY ARM BACK....BUT GOD I MISS RIDING!
BaldPlumber

Re: ANY NEW SUCCESS STORIES?

Post by BaldPlumber »

Yes, me! but my injury was a relatively simple crushed radial and ulnar nerve. From memory, I started to see some improvement at about the 4-5 month stage when my triceps started to return. My wrist came back to me after about 11 months and 2 months after that my fingers returned.

Obviously, it all depends on how severe your injuries are and whether you have been unlucky enough to have some avulsed nerves or if you are lucky enough just to have had them stretched or crushed.

Thinking back, I was probably at my lowest ebb at the 4 month stage, with no improvement in either function or pain. I remember thinking that my life as I knew it was over, and being self employed had no income or any kind of state benefit for the entire duration of my incapacitation.

Anyway, now at about the 20 month stage and back to full function, but still get painful twinges and my arm sometimes collapses for no apparent reason, it also feels slightly mechanical at times - hard to explain but it is not as fluid in motion as the other one.

Mind you, I am currently in S.E. Asia and I had one of those 'f*** me' moments the other day, when I was lifting a girlfriend out of a swimming pool, mind you she only weighs about 100lbs, even so this was something that I could not imagine doing at your 4 month stage - instead, I was wondering if I would be better off in prison where at least I wouldn't have to pay for my accommodation and food!

I have suffered many broken bones in my life, usually for doing stupid things - my last one (a pinned wrist) was caused by crashing an microlight aeroplane, but I have never, ever known the despair caused by this injury.

I really hope it all goes well for you and you do get back on your bike, personally I sold my Honda 929RR even though my accident was caused by coming off a pedal bike!

Best wishes.
PatE
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right brachial plexus avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8 and T1 from 1979 car accident. Wore sling for 30 years. Gracilis and Trapezius transfer 2011. Wrist fusion and finger tendon release 2012.

Post by PatE »

Hi ArmStrong. Keep a positive attitude and don't give up hope. You'll be able to ride again. My husband is currently modifying a 750 Honda Trike so I can ride with one hand. He's moving the throttle to the left side, changing the brakes to both foot brakes (on the right) and installing an auto-clutch on the left foot side. Can't wait for the nice weather to hit and get my license.
pieface
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Full root avulsion of C5,C6,C7,C8,T1 September 2009.
Surgery October 2009.
Donor nerve taken from fore arm, sliced into 3 pieces.
Used for C5, C6 , C7 to re implanted back into the spine and attached
to brachial.

Post by pieface »

i had my accident september 2009 and surgery october 2009. I can move my arm out to about door handle height and can lift it up a little bit. Also some slight elbow bending. Slow progress but what can ya do :D
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

ArmStrong wrote:4 MONTHS POST ACCIDENT...GOING FOR EVALUATION ON THE TENTH OF THIS MONTH...I HOPE I CAN BE FIXED!!!....I SURE DO MISS USING MY ARM! ALL THIS NICE CALIFORNIA WEATHER...I SHOULD BE RIDING MY BIKE..HAS ANYONE HAD THIS INJURY AND BEEN ABLE TO EVENTUALLY RIDE THEIR MOTORCYCLE AGAIN?..DON'T GET ME WRONG I WOULD GIVE UP ALL FORMS OF TRANSPORTATION FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE JUST TO GET MY ARM BACK....BUT GOD I MISS RIDING!

read this Armstrong:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=153862
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Cool video,thanks.
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Awesome pics, I enjoyed looking at all of what you are doing now.
NZBandit
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a motorcycle accident in 1985 where i recieved brachial plexus palsy break which effected my right arm. The result from this was i had my right arm amputated above the elbow in 1986.
in my later years i have been getting overuse syndrome in my left arm.

Post by NZBandit »

I lost my use of my right arm after crashing my motorbike into a car head on. Had arm amputated 18 months later.
About 5 years after the accident i bought a motorcross bike in the 90's and road motocross with one arm, i could wheelstand it, and jump it like anyone else with two arms.

Here in New Zealand i have meet a guy on a harley who rides one arm and a hook, one guy who races superbikes with one arm, a guy who races in the supermoto class with one arm on street circuits as well as tracks. I met a guy who raced endure on a hasqu' auto.

so if we can do it im sure you can do it.

A few things to think about.
have a good look at motocross freestyle bike levers, they are small and you can fit quite a few now on a bar.
I was able to throtle, use the clutch and front brake all with my left hand.
If i turned my back my mates with two hands would be riding my bike.
so riding a bike with one arm is easy, just get out there and give it a go.
Greeny

Post by Greeny »

For those folks that can drive a normal automobile but loved motorcycling too, check out this trike for you to get back out on the road.

http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/tm2default.aspx