Need research regarding overuse in the good arm of TBPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
NZBandit
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a motorcycle accident in 1985 where i recieved brachial plexus palsy break which effected my right arm. The result from this was i had my right arm amputated above the elbow in 1986.
in my later years i have been getting overuse syndrome in my left arm.

Need research regarding overuse in the good arm of TBPI

Post by NZBandit »

Hi everyone
In 1985 i had a motorcycle accident which resulted in me receiving a Brachial Plexus Palsy to my right arm. After a year and a half later (oct 1986) i had my right arm amputated above the elbow.
i retrained myself in many fields but found i was a really good teacher.
So became a primary teacher in NZ
25 years later my issues are i have overuse/repetitive strain injury in my left good arm and had to give a teaching because of it. I have had my carpal tunnel released and have had my ulnar transposition.
However i still have major symptoms of overuse in my left functional and not it seems i have overuse in my left shoulder.
I am fighting my Government compensation scheme in NZ to recognise my injuries.
What i would like to know is there any research/medical research out there regarding overuse in TBPI people.
if you know of any, doesnt matter how big or small it is i will read and use it.
Thanks you to anyone who posts
Last edited by NZBandit on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Looking for research regarding overuse in the good arm of TB

Post by AngelaW »

You bring up a very good issue. I've had my injury for over 2 years now, and I've asked my doctor about possible complications from overuse of the good arm and told "You're young, don't worry about it." I plan to bring the subject up again because I want to know what to do now that can help prevent those problems when I'm not young. I will post here if I get any useful information.
Good Luck. :)
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Looking for research regarding overuse in the good arm of TB

Post by jmar »

i know with my injury, i just want to be independant!!! it is very hard for me to ask for help. when my good arm starts getting fatigued, i have learned to ask for help...most people will help if you just simply ask. once in a while i will ask a person i am with to cut my food up because my arm is tired. not every time, but occasionally. people know i have a problem with my hand and are usually eager to help. this is probably the best way to avoid overuse in your good hand/arm. i am NOT saying to get people to cater to you, but simply asking for help to give your good arm/hand a rest. good luck.
NZBandit
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a motorcycle accident in 1985 where i recieved brachial plexus palsy break which effected my right arm. The result from this was i had my right arm amputated above the elbow in 1986.
in my later years i have been getting overuse syndrome in my left arm.

Re: Need research regarding overuse in the good arm of TBPI

Post by NZBandit »

So i would like to now know who out there, who has one functional arm (opposite of the TBPI arm) might be getting symptoms of overuse in there functional good arm.

Symptoms could include tingling, burning sensations, aching. fat feeling, loss of strength, lack of grip etc.. in their arm, hand, shoulder.

If you have symptoms like this please let me know and if you know of others with these symptoms please let me know.

Regards

Andrew