Tendon Transfer Problem

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
skateunit
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a motorcycle accident on 04/23/09. Had a couple of nerves pulled out of my spine and that made me un-able to use my right arm. I Have had nerve transfers almost 15 months or so ago and now I just had a tendon transfer surgery done as well.

Tendon Transfer Problem

Post by skateunit »

I just recently had a trapezius flap transfer to my shoulder in hopes to help support the shoulder. The problem was when they were attaching the muscle to my humerus, it was weak and brittle and broke with the screws. They took a bone biopsy and returned normal. Has anyone had this problem. My arm is in a airplane splint for six weeks to keep pressure off the muscle flap. Slowly I can lower the arm after it has had time to heal. Does anyone have the same problem I had?

Thanks
Nate
PatE
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right brachial plexus avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8 and T1 from 1979 car accident. Wore sling for 30 years. Gracilis and Trapezius transfer 2011. Wrist fusion and finger tendon release 2012.

Re: Tendon Transfer Problem

Post by PatE »

Nate - I don't know a whole lot about the trapezius transfer but I am waiting to hear from the Mayo Clinic (Dr Elhassan's team) as the next step in my surgery. My understanding is that the airplane splint is routine for this procedure. Hopefully, someone else on the forum may have some experience.

Pat
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You know me Mr Positive :shock: Fact I have read posts regarding possible amputation?? I hope that these post ,show having a amputation should not happen if helped :shock: Now by fact of postings that treatments are there to a point . By fact if your not in time for one treatment because of time than hopefully your in time at the present time to find something else for now ;) I am very happy to see that at 32 years later you still can find new treatment ;) :P So in fact if a doctors say I wish you saw me earlier and the window for treatment , should be seen as option than fact :roll: After 32 years and new treatment CAN happen to help, Sure see a doctor as soon as possible and get treatment , But apparent to me :roll: is some are not getting the right referrals and direction to be in time for some treatment, Its really up to the treating doctor to refer you to a doctor that will help in time. It makes me sad so many post are looking for treatments and direction :roll: . It is on the treating doctor to direct you to get these treatment in time like you read here :roll: ;) Thank God for posting , If one person can find a new treatment or try something in spit of there limitation than it becomes a true blessing to me ;) Than hope may really be fact :roll:I hope this helps???

Tom
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

I had the tendon transfer done by Dr. Elhassan in March of 2010, I didnt have the airplane splint and the muscle ruptured very soon after the surgery but went unnoticed until weeks into PT with no improvement. So Dr Elhassan did it again last October and this time I was put into the Airplane splint completely immobilized for 12 weeks. And I have since had fantastic results.
Brandon Hubbard
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Congratulations,Brandon!
I hope you consider attending Camp 2012 so I can Hug YOu!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
ps...I'm in Tacoma(WA); can we meet 1/2 way like South Center Cheese Factory or Rain Forest Cafe? :) 8-)