2 Year Progress

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

2 Year Progress

Post by hilltopfwb »

I just passed the two year mark of my accident which happened on May 24, 2008. My left arm was completely paralyzed with the exception of some hand movement. I fractured the c5 & c6 of my spinal cord. 6 months after the accident I had a nerve transfer done at Wake Forest University by Dr. Li. The progress was slow at first and I was getting used to life with one arm, then in August I was in a pool and noticed that in water I could move my arm. That was the beginning. I got in therapy weekly and began to exercise it frequently and daily. Today, I am far from where I used to be, but I have use of my left arm. My shoulder still barely responds, but all and all I do well. I wished I could report that I do not experience pain, BUT if I forget to take my....It Gabepentin, it can be pretty painful. I continue to see Dr. Li every 6 months and if my shoulder doesn't come back stronger in our next appointment, we will be discussing further options. If you are new to this injury, please understand that life does get better! I am able to function in my job and do everything I need to do. I would love to have my arm fully back again, yet realize that will never happen. I also realize that I improve little by little and adjust acceptance a little bit more every day. Don't give up....It does get better!

Sorry it has been a while since I posted.
ipeverywhere

Re: 2 Year Progress

Post by ipeverywhere »

Glad to read the update and I second it does get better!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 pm.