Wearing a Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: Wearing a Sling

Post by MW »

Hi Zio,

I was injured about 15 months ago and has surgery about 12 months ago. After recovering from surgery, I was instructed not to wear a sling because a) I have no risk for shoulder subluxation b) I had a free muscle transfer to my arm and a sling wasnt going to help that get stronger. So today I only wear a sling when I'm something where I need to protect/control the arm, like yardwork or cooking, and when I run I use one of Dan's athletic slings.

Best,
MW
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Four years next month(Fathers Day). My scapula was cracked (try casting that...) so
some type of support was pretty much a given. You wouldn't believe the things they
had me trying out. One thing was like a big pillow block that attached around the waist
and then a triangular type sling that rested my arm on the pillow. Boy was that a
contraption. Starting out had I one of Dans I probably would've stayed with it, instead
I use what is called a Harris Brace/Sling. Because I have damage in my neck, opposite
my afflicted arm I could not bear any weight on that side. So this 'H' type style is just

perfect. I have a black one for formal wear and a light blue/white one for sporting
events. Actually I jest. No formal wear and no sporting events. Between the two
I've probably worn out half a dozen or more of each. The velcro wears out.
For the life of me I still can't figure out how to operate a motorcycle or ride a bike.

Feel free to contact me for further details if you wish.
Peace out,
Scott
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Post by Its1105 »

Hey!

My doctor had me wear a sling for just over a month after my nerve surgery so that my nerves were not damaged (ripped out or torn from movements etc as well as to let others know not to hit it or touch it). After one month though he started me in occupational therapy 3 times a week for one hour each visit so that I could begin working on regaining movement (prevent frozen shoulder). I am 17 months post surgery and still in occupational therapy once a week for 2 hours. I did wear a sling off and on after that month for some things such as if I was going to be running around a lot as my shoulder did hang down a bit and it HURT! So I would wear the sling for support but I tried not to wear it as much as possible as it can cause contractions in the elbow and stops you from moving the shoulder joint as well - so my doctor and occupational therapist did not want me in it very much. But both agreed that I should wear it occasionally as needed. At this point I do not wear it all and have not used in a while either. I think the last time I used it was at 6 months post op when I was on a family trip and was walking around a lot. After that, I don't think I have used it since. I still use my messenger bag and what not to hold my arm as a makeshift type sling sometimes, but I don't use a full blown sling.

-Marie
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Dustin does not wear a sling. They gave him a couple of different ones in the beginning when he had sublexation. But after his shoulder returned he quit wearing it. The drs at Mayo told us there is really no reason to. But that is Dustin's case, I know each one can be different. The one he wore mostly had velcroe straps that let me pull the arm back into a natural position as it was falling forward and down. It did not restrict movement in the rest of his arm.
Sue
pieface
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Full root avulsion of C5,C6,C7,C8,T1 September 2009.
Surgery October 2009.
Donor nerve taken from fore arm, sliced into 3 pieces.
Used for C5, C6 , C7 to re implanted back into the spine and attached
to brachial.

Post by pieface »

I wore a sling post surgery to avoid pulling nerves out.

But after the initial period was over i let it hang free but had really bad edima build up in my hand.
Since january i have been using a sling,but i have noticed that my bone does indeed come out of my shoulder now like Zio2284 said.

Maybe i should stop wearing it? what do you guys recon? i have very little movement in my arm it would just hang by my side?

Surgery october 09 full evulsion c5,6,7,8,T1.
Sherrise
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son suffers from a TBPI received on May 15, 2009 in a Motorcycle accident that also took the life of his best friend. He has global avulsion, currently no sensation or movement of his right arm. He had nerve transfer surgery done by Dr. Scott Kozin at Shriner's hospital in Philadelphia, PA on August 30, 2009.

Post by Sherrise »

My son, like most of you, wore his sling constantly directly post injury and post nerve surgery. He has since found it more comfortable (and MUCH less of a hassle.. not to mention going through sling after sling) to go without most times. He does wear it at night sometimes in order to keep his elbow flexed for stretching purposes. As for what he does with his arm? He tucks his hand in his pocket!
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Post by dani_was_here »

I only wore the sling for a couple of months post surgery. I'm just about 2 years post now and can't remember the last time I wore it. I found it to be more of a nuisance than anything and it didn't help holding my humerous in position. I just let my arm hang or stick it in a pocket now.
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

I let my arm hang free with the exception of some all day walking event (like the fair or theme park). I keep my sling in the car in case I need to put it on at any point.