Having Surgery at Mayo on March 5th

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Brandon_3

Having Surgery at Mayo on March 5th

Post by Brandon_3 »

Hello all, my name is Brandon Hubbard and I haven'r bee on here in awhile, but I thought I should share the good news I have that may give others hope. On March 5th I am have a muscle/tendon transfer to give me right arm extension. But whats more important is that I am almost 5 years post injury. In what what was thought to be a complete avulsion injury of c4-t1 was apparantly not the case because about two years post injury I regained my shoulder function and bicep flexion, most of my pectoral muscle works, and so with this surgery I will have both arm flexion and extension and they are gonna fuse my wrist. So Basically I will regain much of the use of my arm sans wrist and fingers but at least that will be solid so I will be able to use that for some functions. A miracle. Because I went 5 years ago to no hope no surgeries to regaining much of the use of my right arm. The Dr.'s at Mayo have a theory that it was my phronetic (sic) that rerouted it self and reinervated my shoulder and bicep because during my emg of my bicep and deltoid it was picking up those signals but in the background it was also picking up every signal from every breath I took. So it goes to show how far the body wil go to heal itself. They did also mention that maybe down the road working on getting some hand function, possibly some grip, not sure but it's a possibility. So I just thought I would give y'all an update and I'll be around awhile catching up.
Brandon 35 Washington state 4y 8 mos. (Robti)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Having Surgery at Mayo on March 5th

Post by Carolyn J »

HAPPY to hear from you Brandon!! WoW I am soo happy for you and that you went to Mayo. I hope we can have a WA STATE Gathering in 2010.
Please keep us updated and come back here oftener, OK!!! :) :)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71
Tacoma WA
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
OzzyJohn

Post by OzzyJohn »

Amazing news mate - as you said it's amazing how the body heals itself - good luck on the 5th ;)

Cheers John
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Good to hear. I have also been thinking of contacting Mayo and getting another eval.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Nicolette
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a RTBPI by Motorcycle accident, in March of 2006

Post by Nicolette »

I just had surgery at the Mayo Clinic on Jan 12th. I will be there in March to get my brace off and find out if my Muscle/Tendon transfer took. I wish you luck. Have you had any other surgeries? I just found this site, do you know of any other forums or support groups? Who is doing your surgery?
Nicolette
bensmom

Post by bensmom »

Amazing! Good luck with your surgery next month...let us know how it goes. My husband is slated to go back in September to discuss something similiar for his deltoid. His nerve tranfer "took" but didn't result in much movement. I'm anxious to hear about as many of there surgeries as possible before then.