Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by AngelaW »

Sooo....I finally figured out how to clip the nails on my good hand by using a large toenail clipper set on the floor with my foot to work the lever. It took me a year to figure that one out (lol) so before another year goes by for the next "big discovery" I was hoping some of you could share any tips and tricks you've discovered on getting around with one arm.
Oh, I also finally got a one-handed jar opener so quality of life is much improved. Jars are bad.
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by MW »

Hi Angela,
I like cooking a lot, and I bought a 'kitchen workstation' cutting board from Sammons Preston that combines a vise (for jars), spikes for holding food in place to chop, raised edges for buttering bread, and a cheese grater and veggie peeler that are fixed to the board. It was kind of pricey, but well worth being able to prepare food again. Good tip on cutting your fingernails-- I never thought of that.
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Hi...Love this request...

Now you are brave for using that big clipper on your good hand...loll I am just working my nails off keeping busy and file them between my knees when they get jagged.

Tip#1- I first opened a can with a pointed triangle can opener. I sat on the floor at 11:00PM at and held the ban between my legs. It was the only can of food I had in the house after my accident. A can of pineapple. I went one by one , baving a v shaped hole in the can lid for over an hour. When I was done I held it up screamed in joy...it was the most beautiful star I had ever seen. I got out my phone book and called everyone I knew in the wee hours of the morning by, saying guess what? I just opened a can of pineapple all by myself. I don't believe I ever really ate the pineapple. It was the beginning...of my first's :) To this day...I still have a can of pineapple in my cupboard for emergencies :)

Congrats...! More later
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I love this topic too! The pineapple story made me laugh and remember my first big celebration over finally getting into a can of coffee. Took 2 days. I'm still figuring things out but when I'm determined, I'll find a way. Here are a some of the things help me get by. I shut all sorts of things in a kitchen drawer do hold it in place while I cut it, open it, etc. it even works well for using saran wrap. You open the drawer, put in the foil or saran, next put in the bowl or item to be covered, lean against the drawer, and viola! Tearing it off is a bit tricky but do-able. I extended the length of my razor by taping two popcycle sticks to it so I can reach my armpit with the good hand. I have a huge, city issued trash can with a hinged lid. I keep a shovel propped against it so when I open the lid, the shovel tips, catches the lid, and keeps it open while I toss in the trash. A friend gave me a small hand truck (some people call then "dolly's"). I use it for EVERYTHING! Inside and outside the house. Really gives my good arm a break. I bought a special floss thingie with a handle that allows me to floss with one hand. I LOVE it and it was less than $5 at the drug store. I hope these are helpful to somebody and I look forward to seeing others contribute to this topic.
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Love that story of the coffee can..it's amazing what we can do when we really need too...
I was always bothered that I was blessed to have my 3 children, but so sad I could never knitt something forthem as babes and small children...
Well I see them into their teen years now 19-16-14 and the dust of small children has settled. But the ear plugs come out for the music now...loll
So I grab a ball of wool at walmart...dig out some knitting needles and proceed to imagine how I could knitt right now...Although this first prototype people grabbed from me and tried to knitt too it...they felt horrified. My mom was critical.. Although I thought this was extremely cruel and it was, it made me even more determined to succeed.
I finished my first scarf last Dec. I threw it away. My kids were mortified because they saw how hard I toiled and cried and was frustrated with so much. When they asked me how I could simply toss it away. I said it was easy...starting over sometimes everyday spiritually is what I do...In my mind/heart/spirit...it was my trial, my pain, frustration. In stead of keeping it to remind me of that experience physically, I or no one deserved that. So it had to go in the garbage.
Again I went out and bought more expensive wool. Using my 14" needles with one held between my knees with my leg crossed. This took the place of my left hand.
Not I am well seasoned in knitting a straight row. I am making a scarf for my son for Christmas. This will surely bring tears to everyone...of pure joy this time!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH My girls, I just LOVE your Tips. I've used some all my life but knitting tip by you Mardelle really got me because I can't hold the knitting needle more that 2 mins. before my LOBPI hand clamps onto sooo tight it locks and hurts like HE**!!! You Tip makes me want to try it again!!!!!!!!!! We ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!!!
HUgs all around,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71 & lovinging it 'cause I can say anything I want to!!!! ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks for all the tips so far. Keep em coming! Sparrow, will you be my roommate? Lol. You are one busy thinker.
Knitting and crotcheting used to be some of my favorite things to do. I used to spin my own yarn and then knit or crochet it. I especially loved making lace. It's been so frustrating to now have all this free time and now be unable to do these things. I have some ideas but right now it's just to frustrating to work so hard at something that I did for fun and relaxation. Right now I'm focusing on embroidery and cross stitch. I bought a stand to hold the hoop so I cand do that one handed.
Cooking....my other love.If only all fruits and veggies were square so they didn't roll around. I found one little gadget online that has a suction on the base and two long plastic prongs on the top to hold the item to be peeled. I like it.
They used to sell saran wrap with those little plastic covered razors that slid across the wrap to cut it. I can't find them anymore. I've found a kitchen shears to be my new best friend. I used to only need one chef's knife and now it's tools everywhere. I think I need to wear a toolbelt now when I'm in the kitchen :p
minniem

Post by minniem »

Knitting is easy! Sit in a comfy chair. Put the knitting needle on the chair cushion with the item you are working on hanging out over the end of the chair. Now put your foot on top of the knitting needle and start knitting. I do this as well to hold my embroidery/cross stitch hoop.

Opening jars... Put the jar between your feet and hold it with your feet while you turn off the lid. This works awesome for two liter pop containers. The other method is if you have a corner in your kitchen counter hold the jar there while you put pressure on it with your hip and twist the lid off. The second method works better after the jar has been opened I think.

Saran wrap, aluminum foil, etc I hold the box with lid side up and so I have to tear away from me. I place the box against the counter with my hip holding it plus putting pressure on it and rip off the piece I need.

Cutting up vegetables fruits etc. I will use an apple for example place the apple on the cutting board with stem facing up. Now slice off a straight piece on the outside edge. Now lay the apple on the flat side you just created and cut the apple in half. Now cut each half in half. Place the cut side of the quarter slice of apple on cutting board and cut off the core. Now place that cut side down on the cutting board and slice as thinly as you like then repeat with the other three slices. Potatoes can be peeled and cut this way too.

Opening can goods. Get a manual/hand can opener. You are going to squeeze it down just like normal only after it punches through then you are going to open it and slide it over and repeat until you have gone all the way around the can. At first it is going to be slow and strange! In time though you can get as fast any normal two handed person. The other method is the can opener on a swiss army knife.

My favorite objects by far are my feet, hips, scissors, funnels, and duck tape! Sounds strange but they are things I use all the time. For example the push lawn mower. Now a days they have the safety bar you have to hold while you pull the cord to start the motor. Seriously, when I first got hurt I wanted to make the dude eat it who thought of it. It made me so mad! I now duck tape that lovely bar to the normal push bar. Then I put my foot on the lawn mower and literlly push the mower forward while at the same time I pull the cord backward. Takes some practice not to fall but the mower is running. I push the mower like I do the shopping cart. To shut off the mower cut the duck tape with you scissors.

Cleaning tip for anyone who has even tried to scrub the bottom of a texured bath tub one handed. Buy an extra toliet bowl brush and label it for cleaning only. Then grab your liquid dishwasher detergent. Squirt some of that across the bottom and use the brush to scrub/push the soap into the texturing. Leave it on 5 to 15 minutes then turn on the faucet/shower and rinse out the tub.

Oh and if you have to plunge the toliet. First try pouring down one cup of dishwashing soap, DAWN works best. Wait fifteen and trying flushing. It usually works. My Grandfather taught me this trick years ago before I even had my arm injuried. My Grandmother used to say wait fifteen minutes then pour down one tea kettle worth of boiling water before flushing especially if there are kids in the house. My Grandparents have passed on now but I am so thankful they taught me this trick!

I am curious about other people's tricks for are accomplishing tasks.

minnie
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

On Cooking...for me when I visited the first OT session over two decades ago...I was disgusted and discouraged all in the same breathe. I grated my knuckles on spikes that held my veggies...punched holes in places with the wrong gadget. If I didn't have my non skid matt with me at all times...the OT instilled fear. My once loved place was in my kitchen..now I was reduced to what.
I only have a one handed rocker knive for cutting my meat.
In the kitchen I use kleevers to cut and chip everything. An oversized cutting board is heavy and will not move. I have a heavy cleaver for meats...and a lighter cleaver for chopping and slicing. It's like baseball. Keep you eyes on the ball...except it's your food :)
Using the heel and angle hit with a sharp cleaver puts oranges in their place...:) cut in half...yes they sometimes fly around a little...but so...I wash them..
Then for finer slicing I will use a very fine sarrated edge steak knife. It is so sharp very little pressure is required, which helps with your hand care and your wrist and shoulder of your good hand...

I have a sarran glass top cook stove top...so I can slide my pot carefull to the sink.
I tip and have my strainer waiting in the sink. I always wear a rubber glove under my oven mitt...in case I get that mitt wet. The hot water will not burn my onlt hand.

Then I cook like hell and feed my starving kids :)

Have fun all!

With Peace, Love & Light
Mardelle
P.S. I will knitt 4 rows before dinner...My first scarf was a nightmare. Once I mastered the positioning of the needle and how I needed to compensate for overall knitting movement. My kids want me to put it on Utube...loll
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

my teeth are my right arm