Considering shoulder fusion surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MB15

Considering shoulder fusion surgery

Post by MB15 »

Hello all,

I saw my orthopaedic and neurosurgeon last week and b/c I have not improved (in fact, the subluxing, pain and lack of movement are worsening)they mentioned shoulder fusion may be a viable option. Apparently, I would have little to no pain, no subluxing and most likely, I would gain some movement due to my shoulder being stable. At this point, though, I am not ready to commit to such a huge surgery. I want to wait just a little longer, continue to see my docs every three months, and keep my fingers crossed for some sort of recovery. Both my doctors are okay with this.

In the meantime, the fusion does give me a little hope that there is something out there that may help me. I'm wondering if there's anyone who's had one, considering one, know of someone who's had one, etc. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

MB
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Re: Considering shoulder fusion surgery

Post by dani_was_here »

I'm kind of in the same boat. The doctors recommended shoulder fusion but I'm not sure. They say it might help with the pain, but they also said the last surgery gave me a good chance of full recovery. I hate the hard decisions I have to make now.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

A shouldar fusion is not your only option. I was in the same boat as you two last year when the brachial plexus team at the mayo clinic thought that a shouldar fusion was my only option for my severely subluxated and painful shoulder. Then one of them recommended I see Dr. Bassem Elhassan also of the Mayo Clinic. He has created this surgery specifically for bpi's which combines shoulder and muscle transfers to not only pull the shoulder back into place, but also make it functional.
The surgery is a major one but has been life changing. I went from having my arm hanging permantly out of the socket and hypersensative and useless to having a mostly painless shoulder where I can shrug, swing and direct my arm, and rotate it outward a little bit, and squeeze inward. My shoulder was also one of the worst he had seen. Other people he has worked on have even been able to raise their arms above thier heads and touch their noses. The arm also remains flexible.
A shoulder fusion would fuse your arm to your collarbone. It would sit permanantly away from your body a little bit. I would stabilize your arm but you wouldn't regain near the function and flexibility that you could get from this surgery. Also, a fusion is really the last resort after evything else has failed as it is permanant.
He is in the process of getting me my before and after videos because I want to post them on this site to show people just what this surgery can do. He is also one of the kindest, most enthusiastic doctors you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. If it is possible, please try to get to minnesota and meet with this doctor before going through with a shoulder fusion.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Wow, this sounds great Angela!

I do know of a lumberjack back in Vermont that had his shoulder fused years ago (about 15) and said it was the toughest surgery to recoup and deal with, yet the best one he had. As it changed his level of activity because of finally having stability in the shoulder region.

I'd love to see those before and after videos. That's the kind of thing that people so desperately need to see, to get a clearer picture of what the real possibilities are. I hope you get them and can post them here on the site. Congrats!!

AngelaW wrote:A shouldar fusion is not your only option. I was in the same boat as you two last year when the brachial plexus team at the mayo clinic thought that a shouldar fusion was my only option for my severely subluxated and painful shoulder. Then one of them recommended I see Dr. Bassem Elhassan also of the Mayo Clinic. He has created this surgery specifically for bpi's which combines shoulder and muscle transfers to not only pull the shoulder back into place, but also make it functional.
The surgery is a major one but has been life changing. I went from having my arm hanging permantly out of the socket and hypersensative and useless to having a mostly painless shoulder where I can shrug, swing and direct my arm, and rotate it outward a little bit, and squeeze inward. My shoulder was also one of the worst he had seen. Other people he has worked on have even been able to raise their arms above thier heads and touch their noses. The arm also remains flexible.
A shoulder fusion would fuse your arm to your collarbone. It would sit permanantly away from your body a little bit. I would stabilize your arm but you wouldn't regain near the function and flexibility that you could get from this surgery. Also, a fusion is really the last resort after evything else has failed as it is permanant.
He is in the process of getting me my before and after videos because I want to post them on this site to show people just what this surgery can do. He is also one of the kindest, most enthusiastic doctors you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. If it is possible, please try to get to minnesota and meet with this doctor before going through with a shoulder fusion.
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Post by dani_was_here »

Do you know the technical name for the shoulder surgery you had? My doctors were going to fuse my shoulder but now they want to wait and see as the humerous has started lifting up. They aren't sure at this point because it is lifting into its socket but it won't stay there. Your surgery sounds like it might be an option if it doesn't stay lifted.
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

I just know it as a group of tendon and muscle transfers, usually he does one or two, but in in my case I needed six, and that they are techniques that he has specifically developed. He is currently out of the country, but will be back soon (this week, I think). I can ask him then if there is an official "name" to the surgery. :)

Here's the link to his profile. If it doesn't work just go to http://www.mayoclinic.org and look up his last name in Doctors and Departments.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bio/13315528.html

Christopher - That's exactly why I have been trying to get my videos. This surgery is pretty new so a lot of people don't realize this option is out there and just resign themselves to the subluxed and/or painful shoulder because they don't want to go through with a fusion. Being able to see the results on someone who had one of the worst shoulders he's worked on (no joke) would give people an idea of what can be achieved. :)
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I am another patient, along with Angela, at Mayo. My injury is 24 years old, I have C5,6 and 7 avusled from my spine; and I had 6 muscle transfers at Mayo to "put me back together". I have never heard of the 1 out of 3 chance it would work research. Fusion has a 50% rate of success the first time. Its a full year recovery and its extremly painful, and I am qouting a Mayo Clinic surgeon on this. The muscle transfer for me was a success. And like I said my injury is very old. I would try anything before fusion. Even if its a 1 in 3 chance. And if that research IS correct thanks to Angela (she lead me to Dr Elhassan a year ago) I guess I was the 1 out of 3. Life is much better now :)
Bahnyen
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28/05/2014

Post by Bahnyen »

You are tough and very good luck, herff94 and Angela. Human body is amazing but in this case not everyone happy with the result. As I said you are very good luck, but still need to keep doing the exercise for your muscle. Hope everyone get lucky like you and wish both of you getting better and better.
From the one who don't have much luck!
dani_was_here

Post by dani_was_here »

My doctors are again saying I need to have my shoulder fused.Does anyone know if there is a surgery that doesn't require a good latissimus dorsi muscle that will help with a shoulder?
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Hello. If you want I can put you in touch with my excellent shoulder surgeon (Dr. Elhassan) from the Mayo Clinic. I've talked with him, and he is always willing to try to help answer any questions that people may have may have about their surgical options and he DOES NOT CARE if they can be a patient of his or not. He is just interested in helping out any way he can. (So this is in no way "peer pressure" to see this particular doctor or go to the Mayo Clinic :P ) He is simply one of the best doctors to go to for fixing shoulders in bpi patients so he would be an excellent resource to get some information from. :) Please let me know if you are interested. Good luck.

Ang :)