Drez Road

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dude

Drez Road

Post by Dude »

I saw a doctor last week to see if I am a candidate for the DREZ procedure. He wants to run additional tests to confirm if I'm a go.

After 13 years without any relief, I am hopeful that I may have some movement forward.
racerboy

Re: Drez Road

Post by racerboy »

Best of luck, Dude. Keep us informed.

For those unfamiliar with DREZ (Dorsal Root Entry Zone), here's some articles on it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2697214
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/sto ... ocus2.html

Frank
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Read all the info on DREZ before you do anything. I went to a doctor for DREZ and I researched it-heavily-and I ran out the door! Look at the older posts on here for personal experiences and people that have had it.
I have been dealing with pain as well for 22 years and I'm still not even considering DREZ.
I'm not being negative regarding the procedure I just want everyone to know the risks involved.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Hi Kathleen,
Is there a link to any studies where it went all to hell. I've seen a few postings on the web where someone had a bad outcome, but most of the studies I've read show 70% of appropriately screened candidates have significant improvement with pain reduction.

I went through about 60 posts on the drez. Many were positive, and some who had the pain return wanted to do it again. I know that there are risks with any surgery, especially when it's on the spine. There are going to be individuals who have bad outcomes, but most of the people who have positive outcomes are going to stop posting.

I have not had one treatment in that has been effective. I am literally getting to the end of my rope. I say, "Bring on the risks."

I'm at the point that if someone said cutting off your head would stop the pain, I would try googling it to see if there was a study.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I'm so glad you did your research. I know there are many other possibilities with this surgery that have not been mentioned on the posts. I hope you read those too. After this horrible injury I, however, wont take anymore chances in life. I wish you luck and I hope you find and receive the pain relief you deserve.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I was approved for the DREZ operation.

It is scheduled for the end of the month.

The doctor said that 50% had 50% or greater reduction of pain.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Who is your Doc and where does he practice?

Just trying to keep the knowledge lowing,,,

Also I've read bucket loads on the DREZ and help if I can.

Christopher
Dude

Post by Dude »

Dr.Kim J. Burchiel in Oregon. He was recommended by the Mayo.

Any info would be appreciated.
EJ

Post by EJ »

Had drez in 96 was post bpi 13 years. mistake. follow on problems totally canceled ouit any positive results--lost obliques r. side about 45 percent reduction in r leg function--more new aches than i care to mention plus my neck hurts like hell mostly all the time. Also developed about a 2-3 inch curvature of spine listing to r. side. I came up on the short end of that surgery. But it IS a crap shoot--some folks have really positive results. That's the trouble w/there being no such thing as a standard model tbpi. Everybody's injury is unique
Dude

Post by Dude »

Back home from the surgery. The surgeon said there was a lot more damage than showed on the the MRI. Stiff and sore. It looks like there will be a significant reduction in the pain, but I'll know more in a few days.