Possibly heading to the Mayo

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Humboldtmtnbkr
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Road cycling accident 8/31/08 stretched c5/c6. 2 1/2 years post accident now and I have regained all function and alot of strength back. I am a very lucky person.

Possibly heading to the Mayo

Post by Humboldtmtnbkr »

I am 4 months 1 week post accident. I feel like I am improving in some areas. About 2 weeks ago I sent my info to the Mayo just in case. Today I heard back from them and they want to see me Feb. 10,11,12. The 12th for a possible surgery date. I am a little shocked. When I asked if a surgery date is always scheduled the woman said usually only if they see something. I am now torn as to what to do. I feel I was just finally mentally adjusted and dealing well and on the road to a hopeful full recovery. Does anyone know what they will do to me the first 2 days and could surgery be to simply clean out scar tissue? I am also concerned about my insurance. This is out of network, so 50% of medicare cost would be covered with the remainder of original amount left to me. Does anyone know what sort of costs are associated with this type of visit? Could a referral help? Sorry about all the questions that may not have answers to until I go, but I have been thrown for a loop. Thanks JJ
Shep

Re: Possibly heading to the Mayo

Post by Shep »

i did the same mayo visit. it consist of mri mra and consultations with blood test and more than likely a mylogram.
i had to change my insurance to get them to do the surgery.
i have my mylogram next week the 14th, and surgery the 27th

the cost for me was excess of 250k, so its not cheap, but i felt very good with the spinner,chin, and bishop team. i would at least go for the 3 day visit.
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

hey JJ
i would go for the visit if i were you. i have no idea what they will do to you. when i went i had an emg and mri. they scheduled me for surgery a few weeks later. i had a mylogram already at a different facility so they had those results. sometimes surgery would be to check things out and also clean out scar tissue. cleaning out the scar tissue could do a lot of good. you could always go for the testing and then schedule surgery for another date while you work out your insurance. you are only 4 months, so you have some breathing room.
my advice to you is to go. you dont want to miss an opportunity like this.

good luck,
Robin
herff94

Post by herff94 »

GO!!! You are so lucky to have those doctors and that they found the time to see you. Never pass up the opportunity for Mayo Clinic to help you. Its my 2nd home and I am so thankful for the entire clinic! I'll be honest some tests will not be pleasant but you need to know what's ahead for you! Right?
Kath
TBPI Parent

Post by TBPI Parent »

I would contact Dr. Curtain at Stanford (650)723-5256. My son was in a head on dirt bike accident on July 3, 2008 and C5, C6, and C7 were avolved, he has no use of his arm and very little movement in his fingers. I considered Mayo and then stubbled on Stanford. He had his first nerve transfer in October and just finished the second nerve transfer in December. I am very pleased, she works hand in hand with Dr. Hintz. Not sure of the extent of your injuries however they really like to get you in before you hit 6 months after your accident.
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

I can't say enough good about the team at the Mayo. I would GO! When we took Dustin the first 2 days were for testing. He had an intake evaluation, EMG that lasted about 2 hours(very thurough), MRI and then the second day we met with the team. They gave the arm another thurough going over and rated all the muscles. Because he was still improving and they had time they waited to schedule surgery for a later time. When we returned it was basically the same routine, they were still seeing improvement but since it was at his 6 mo post accident point they decided to go in, the biceps were not returning like they hoped. They prepped him for nerve graph but when they got in there the nerves were not avulsed so they cleaned out scar tissue and closed him up. They will not do surgery if they don't think it is the best treatment for you. I think that knowing how far you have to travel and the date of your injury they just want to schedule so the room is available. It is ultimately up to you. Dustin has been back 3x's for the muscle transfer and has so far decided not to go ahead with it. The last time we even had everything set to go when he changed his mind. So, the room may be there but it doesn't mean they will definatley go in. It's just that if they don't schedule for it you may have a longer wait. However, they are a very knowledgeable team and I value their opinions greatly. I would go just for the peace of mind from knowing and from all the answers they can give.
Sue
Humboldtmtnbkr
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Road cycling accident 8/31/08 stretched c5/c6. 2 1/2 years post accident now and I have regained all function and alot of strength back. I am a very lucky person.

Post by Humboldtmtnbkr »

All you people are wonderful. I really appreciate your input. Right I now I am in the mode of going to the Mayo. It will cost me around 3 - 5 thousand dollars after my out of network insurance coverage, and travel and lodging. This does not include a surgery, this is only for the 2 days of testing and consulting. I do not know how I would afford the surgery, but I will deal with that when or if it comes. I Think I will also call Stanford and my insurance to see where I might stand if I were to go there. Thank you all! JJ
TBPI Parent

Post by TBPI Parent »

I think it is great to keep all your options open. If possible try to get copies of all the results of testing, it has been helpful to take these with me to our appointments.