Great Workout's Lately?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Great Workout's Lately?

Post by Dan »

I haven't heard from the usual suspects about their training for the next marathon, triathlon, endurance swim or other great physical feats. I know it is winter and cold, but I am sure you guys are still getting out and doing things, how about cross country skiing?

I'll give a quick update on me. One of the most exciting things was I finally got in the pool after my "lesson" at the CAF (Challenged Athletes Foundation) one armed triathlon clinic. I know I shared with my fellow traithletes, but I'll give a recap for others. CAF has it's annual big fundraiser and half ironman triathlon in San Diego in October. As part of the event, they had different clinics, some for wheelchair, blind, one armed and a few others. For the one armed clinic, we got to get in the water with some of the top one armed triathletes and coaches. It was great for me as it was the first time I have ever had formal coaching on swimming.

Well, after almost two months since getting my lesson, I finally got in the pool last week and got a 30 minute swim in. The great part about it was not that I swam for 30 minutes, but that I used so much less energy and was much more efficient than before. So for my next triathlon I will come out of the water in much better shape.

I know others run lots more than I do, but I just did a 5 mile run this morning and it was really fun, I did half of it off road, which is my favorite was to run.

I should be getting out to play some golf next week, anyone else played lately?

I am visiting my Dad in Reno after Christmas and will hopefully get a day of snowskiing in.

So basically I wanted to get a post going about some outdoor and sporting activities.

Anyone?

Dan
swimhappy

Re: Great Workout's Lately?

Post by swimhappy »

Not me! I'm still enjoying my time off.

I won't be for much longer, though. I am starting up again in a couple weeks and with a vengeance, too: 4 hours a day of swimming, plus a half hour of ab/core exercises, plus maybe some weights exercises thrown in there? Ouch!

I'm pretty excited. The training is actually for my college's team. Assuming I survive that first week, I'll be competing for them for the rest of the season. After the season ends, I'l have Nationals. Busy schedule ahead for 2009.
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

Greetings and happy holidays!!!!!!
dan as you know, im recovering from surgery. i was out at the mayo clinic thurs-friday for my follow up.
saturday morning i was in the gym!!! 6 weeks off..wow!!!! did some lower body strength work. today i rode my trainer for the first time. moving a litte slowly as now my legs are sore. cant catch the 3 year olds!!!! plan to swim tomorrow. i hope to run soon. im still very sore so that may take a bit.

as for races and training. i earned a slot to ecape from alcatraz at the westchester tri. however, i will be unable to go. pains me greatly, but its just not in the cards. i may try to do a race in may or early june, just to "warm up" i am doing ironman lake placid at the end of july. this will not only mark the 2nd anniversary of the accident that nearly killed me, but will be the realization of a lifelong dream i thought dead after my accident. just goes to show that we can do anything we want. just never never never give up!!!!!! although i have to again recognize dan because if not for his sling i would never have been able to run. so dan...God bless you and thank you. and again. and thank you for all the support and inspiration i get here.

God bless you all and best wishes for a joyous holiday and happy and healthy new year!!!!!!

Robin
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Wow Robin, great job on the recovery! It's so inspiring hearing about your ironman plans.

I've been thinking that I'll never be able to do one with how much the 2-mile swim I did this year took out of me. But, swimhappy has hooked me up with a coach of hers that has helped my swimming technique sooo much after just 2 sessions.

Apparently, the timing on my stroke was off, so I was using much more shoulder and not enough torso. That explains why I injured my shoulder and have to be careful right now. Once it gets better I'll be able to focus on swimming more, and see what I can do for a half IM next year.

Thanks for all the inspiration you guys! Amanda, 4-hours of swimming per day--OMG! Do you have any tips for taking care of your shoulder?

Heddi
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Dan, I forgot to congratulate you on running 5 miles. It's amazing how much more enjoyable running gets when you get up to that distance.

Makes 3 miles feel a lot easier, doesn't it?

:)
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Robin: When people ask why I made the sling I always tell them it was that Robin girl who got it all started with the post about a sling for running. So people really need to remember to thank you for the sling. I will also say, you are an amazing example of a great athlete who has not let their injury slow them down, in fact like you said, what once was only a dream of doing a full ironman, you are now going to do one with one arm.

I am going to add the other two on this post, swimhappy and Heddi I think all of you are really an inspiration, not just to others with the injury, but to anyone who wants to challenge themselves to do things they think are difficult, all of you show there are no limitations if you are determined to try.

Getting into triathlons and wanting to excel after years of being a weekend warrior with forty extra pounds, is in large part to the three of you who kept posting about your amazing swims or bike rides, so I figured I couldn't let you guys have all the fun, plus I needed to make sure the men were represented:)

I still don't think I am going to train as hard as the three of you, you guys are crazy!

Heddi, yep, a three miler does seem short, I don't feel like I am doing enough if that is all I am doing. I was also going to agree with you on the swim coaching, isn't it amazing when you use the proper technique?

I know I have talked to a few of you about it in person, but I also wanted to put it out there for everyone. We are discussing the idea of putting together a few relay teams for the CAF half ironman in San Diego in October 2009. For those of you who don't want to do the full triathlon, you can do one part, swim, bike or run. (We need to convince Heddi to be part of a team rather than doing the whole thing:)) But if you are interested, let us know.

We can also use it to help generate awareness and also raise some money.

Dan
peterabb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA 3/15/08 (TBPI)
Avulsed C-5, 6, 7, 8 T-1
Mayo Total BP Reconstruction 7/15/08
Pain issues

Post by peterabb »

Hey Dan,
What's up? Unfortunately I haven't done too much besides work, but in the spring I plan on putting the sling to the test...(got your message sorry I didn't get back to you), although i may stop at the Y for a swim before then, thanks for the idea...Anyway have a good Holiday, and a Happy New Year...hopefully I don't get too many ties or gloves as xmas gifts ;-)

Message was edited by: peterabb
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Hi Pete,

Let me know how the work outs go, I am sure you will really enjoy getting active again.

I would tell you I know what you can do with the other glove, but I am the same arm as you, so I can't use it either...Funny thing about gloves, my current snow ski glove and ski pole were mismatched that I had given to me by a ski shop, you never know until you ask, I always do.

I'll have to post a video of me tying a tie, not that hard actually.

Dan
swimhappy

Post by swimhappy »

Hey Heddi, here are some tips for shoulders:

-ICE! If it's remotely sore, ice it!

-Rotator cuff exercises. I do these a few times a week using a 1-pound weight, but you can also use stretch bands (like the ones PTs have). I always did mine in 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercises. This video has some good exercises using a band (just hook the band to something instead of holding it with the other arm; theses can also be done with a free weight): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498
and this video uses free weights and shows a few more exercises. Just a warning: the exercises themselves are okay, but DO NOT use 5 lbs like he does! That is TOO MUCH! Also, do them in sets of 12 or 15, not 20-30. I repeat, the exercises the way he shows them are fine, but DO NOT follow his weight/reps instruction. Sorry to stress this, but the shoulder is such a delicate joint that doing exercises incorrectly can really hurt it, and nobody here needs two shoulders out of commission. :) Oops, almost forgot to include the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_MzRbZDJ8

-With regards to swimming tips, a lot of shoulder damage occurs during breathing. Bilateral breathing (breathing to both sides) helps a lot. On us, it feels weird because we breathe over our shoulder on our bad side instead of under it, but it helps the good shoulder and is actually faster.

Since I'm into the video thing right now, here's a fantastic video of common mistakes and how to fix them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M

Dan, just wanted to tell you, I may be asking for one of your slings here soon! You, Heddi and Robin are all making me want to take up running/triathlons and I'd need a sling for that. Also, you all could easily beat me in running, and being the competitive person that I am, I can't have that! ;)

Message was edited by: swimhappy
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Thanks swimhappy, those videos are great!

My shoulder felt better after just doing the warm-ups, and I'm sure will feel even better once I strengthen the rotator cuff.

I have no doubt that you're going to be a great triathlete if you decide to go that way. Of course with 4 hours of swim training per day, it might be hard to fit in running & biking :)

Thanks again for the tips!

Heddi