Athletic Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Kianas Dad

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by Kianas Dad »

My daughter is in need of a sling for cheerleading. Anyone used this type of sling for that type of activity?
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Not cheerleading specifically, but I am sure it would work well for the type of movement. Depending on the colors, we could match her outfit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan
racerboy

Post by racerboy »

Hi Dan-
I definitely want to invest in one of your slings as the standard one given to me post-surgery really pulls on my left (uninjured) neck/trap. Can you design it so my right hand/forearm remains mobile/free?

Thanks,
Frank
Kianas Dad

Post by Kianas Dad »

Dan,

My daughter LOVES the sling. She said it was nice to focus on what she was doing instead of worrying about her arm. I am not sure what a hurkie (sp) is... but she said it helped in all her jumps. She ran with it 2 miles yesterday. Her running posture was MUCH better. Nice job on this sling :) We look forward to seeing you in July.

Roger
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

@Dan -- I just discovered this forum and the UBPN. Glad to see so many folks don't let their injury limit them. I'm a distance runner (prefer 10K up to 1/2 marathon), and I was hit by a vehicle on a run, leaving me w/ severe BP injury. Right now I am recovering from a reconstructive surgery at Mayo, but once I'm out pf my cast I'll be ordering one of your slings!

@Robin and everyone- I have a road bike that I'm trying to figure out how to use again. I don't have any hand or finger movement on left side... suggestions on how to modify the bike? Thanks!
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi Roger,

So glad Kiana likes the sling and looking forward to meeting you when you come out to Los Angeles, maybe we can go for a run as well as getting her a sling that matches her cheerleading outfit.

Hi MW,

I hope your recovery goes well and no, this injury does not need to slow you down. Would love to chat when you have time and we can help you with a sling.

I am going to start another thread for the biking question because I know there are lots of different ways to set up your bike.

Dan
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

hi MW!
just saw your post. dan would be the one to talk with about your bike. i do have some hand function so i have my bike set up differently. cant move around and in and out of aero, but i can shift.
who did you see at mayo? i was just out there in may to follow up with entire team and Dr. Elhassan.

ill be out in chicago in august for the chicago triathlon. maybe you can come out and we can do a short run together.
good luck with your recovery. Dan's sling is amazing. without it i wouldnt be able to do what im doing!!!!!

cheers,
Robin
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Robin!
Your success with doing endurance events gives me a lot of hope about my condition. Running is one of the few things that helps alleviate my BPI pain, at least for a little while.

I saw Dr Shin, Spinner, Bishop, and Bengston. Dr Bengston told me that he had a female triathlete BPI patient that had found an amazing athletic sling but he couldn't remember where she found it. Maybe that was you? I would definitely like to meet up for a run if you're in the Chicago area, just drop me an email.

I just got my cast off, so measurements are coming your way Dan!
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

Hi MW!
yes, that was me. i sent Dr. Bengston Dan's info and Dan forwarded him the link to the info. that may have been after you met with him.
how are you feeling with the cast off?
yes, running, biking and swimming help control the pain, but for just a little while. my pain has been really bad lately. im guessing it is the unsettled weather we've been having for the past 2 months!!
i will be in chicago the weekend of aug. 29th, so hopefully you will be ready for a little jog.
good luck with recovery!
Robin
OzzyJohn

Post by OzzyJohn »

Dan - My sling arrived today and I've put it straight to work, it fits very well and has lots of adjustment to make it really comfortable. The whole process from measuring to delivery in Australia was only a couple of weeks - great service.

Will post pics soon.

Cheers John