any tips? (baby changing)

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

any tips? (baby changing)

Post by hope16_05 »

Ok, so I am having surgery next wednesday that will give me absolutely no use of my right arm for at least 4 weeks. No problem except my sister wants me to do daycare for her 8 month old son. I am totally up for that and I want to watch him but I need some tips on changing the diaper with use of only one hand. I had enough trouble tonight and I still have use of both hands. Any tips?

I thought I would post this here too since many of you are parents, any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Amy
20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
herff94

Re: any tips? (baby changing)

Post by herff94 »

Mom of 4 here!!!
I use my leg to hold up my babies legs-tilting their legs back almost over their heads to wipe them. To close the tabs I place my foot on their bellies and closed tabs. Gosh, I hope they aren't cloth!! My toes works as fingers sometimes, I hold things with my toes. its hard to invision but it'll work. Hope the baby sits still for you. Good luck.
Kath
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Thanks Kath! That sounds like a great idea. I think I will be able to use all of your tips, my toes are handy too ;)

Hugs,
Amy
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Amy,

Here is what I do with my two year old daughter and two month old son. I have a complete to my left arm, so only have use of right arm.

As far as changing diapers, like anything else, a little patience is great to start. As far as the clean-up of a "dirty" diaper, I usually make one pass with the old diaper down to clean and then tuck under their butt. I clean what I can with them laying on back, then roll them on their side to get the rest that is lower or more to the rear to their bottom. Between those two ways, can get very clean.

As far as putting new on one, I usually spread out as flat as I can next to them on the ground and then lift them with their legs and rotate onto diaper and place in diaper, some adjustment needed, but not much. Then as far as getting the tabs placed, I hold top part with one finger, usually pincky, and pull tab up with thumb and forefinger and place on top. The tricky part here is if the kids is kicking legs, you have to time it between kicks because I can't hold all parts with one hand if they are kicking. Or just talk to them and get them to not kick, easier with a little older child.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification on any of my tips.

All the Best,
Dan
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Thanks Dan, those are great tips! This reallyt helps me out! Thanks a bunch!!! I think my nephew and I will be talking a lot. I hope at 8 months he can learn that he will need to help his auntie out and not squirm so much.
Hugs,
Amy
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

How about changing diapers with no arms...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vem_bHsxL40

pretty inspirational!
herff94

Post by herff94 »

WOW-that's how I use my toes but I am NO WAY as good as she is. That's amazing! She uses her neck to pick her baby out of the crib. I wonder if she will be able to function like that as she gets older. I am 38 and I am noticing that I am not as flexible as before but I still have 2 yr old to chase!
Kath
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Bumping this up for the parent in need of changing skills.

My surgery in May allowed me no use of my right arm but as soon as a week after surgery I was changing diapers again. Its tricky but can be done with one hand and legs/feet!
Good luck and I hope you are able to figure something out that works for you. I will also bump a post on the obpi board. We talked about it a lot on there as I was going to babysit my nephew full time this past summer he was 8 months at the time of my surgery.

Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN