Caffeine/sugar and BPI pain

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
stx431

Caffeine/sugar and BPI pain

Post by stx431 »

Hey Y'all, Carries pain has increased significantly in the last few months and we're looking at all of the possibilities of why. I've noticed that she has been drinking Dr Peppers and Pepsi's lately. Have any of you seen an increase in neuropathic pain when you drink soft drinks that contain caffeine and loads of sugar? I think I read a post a while ago about this topic, but couldn't find it so I thought I'd ask y'all since you've experienced everything concerning BPI's and the ever so present pain.

Thanks, Dick
Kianas Dad

Re: Caffeine/sugar and BPI pain

Post by Kianas Dad »

Funny you should mention this, because my daughter and I had this conversation about a week ago. We noticed since her diet has gone down hill and she is taking in more sugar and sodas that her pain has increased. We are trying to get her to cut back again on sugars and do more cardio excercise to see if it helps with her pain management. I hope it helps, her pain gets bruttal at times...
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi Dick
I googled 'caffiene, sugar, pain' and got lots of results so yes, it looks like there is definitely evidence that caffiene and sugar increase pain, and a lot more horrible stuff too. Lots of us have also found that whilst a night of alcohol removes the pain completely, the next day the pain is often much much worse. I wouldn't mind betting that it's all part of the same thing.
I am a chronic tea drinker, being English, and I haven't noticed this effect much. Less caffiene? Who knows. So try tea maybe :)
Cheers
Jen NZ
wazza

Post by wazza »

It wouldn't be because of less caffeine = less pain because tea has more caffeine than soft drinks/soda (can't exactly what people outside of Australia call Pepsi, coke etc. We call them soft drinks here) Check http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm and you will see normal tea is 60mg average caffeine whereas soft drinks are 55mg, at least non USA tea. USA tea is 40mg. It's probably the additives/sugar etc in the carbonated drinks that may help bring on (extra) pain.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

It's more likely that I've had my bpi for 27 years and the pain's not as noticeable! I also found when researching this that caffiene is best avoided for nerve health too.....and yes, it looks like the sugars (even natural ones) are very bad too. I know of one tbpi who really noticed worse pain after chocolate, that could be sugar and caffiene as choc contains lots of both. Like everything else, we all react differently to different stimuli.
The only way to really know would be cut things out one by one and see what helps, but you guys are moving into summer and if you're anything like me that means your pain levels will go way down anyway.
How's Carrie now, Dick?
stx431

Post by stx431 »

Hey,

Yea, summers coming quickly and Carrie's pain usually reduces some, as her pain is worst in Jan-Mar.
She likes chocolate too, so maybe I'll make some suggestions along those lines concerning caffeine. Yeti posted some good information on the UK site also.
Her lat/bicep muscle transfer was ineffective due to the lat muscle being too atrophied/weak before the surgery. I'm hoping she'll get the drive to work the muscle again in an attempt to get some "against gravity" movement, but that's her decision. She did have flickers of movement but nothing substantial. I tried to get her to give it time and keep going, but she's getting discouraged after 7 years and a bunch of surgeries with little or no progress. She's ok with her recovery so I support her.

C-ya, Dick