Traumatic Brachial Plexus query

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ptrefam

Re: Traumatic Brachial Plexus query

Post by ptrefam »

trr,
Glad you found this site. I am not a Dr. But my son also received a TBPI in an auto accident. It sounds like you are doing the right things for improvement of the arm. Specifically I would address the questions you have.
1. The nerves heal at about 1 inch per month. So it can take a long time, up to 2 years for healing. Many people continue to gain after the 2 year period.
2. Most people do not fully recover from this injury. But with surgery many do gain more funtion. Like the grip from hand, bend in elbow, ect. Each one is different so it just depends. Electrical stimulation is good, so is therapy to strengthen the muscles and Range of motion exercises to keep muscles stretched and not to tighten.
3. The same with the pain. Many people with TBPI seem to have varying degress of pain. Many take meds or use other techniques to deal with pain.

My son did not have avulsions but still cannot move arm in functional manor. His accident was 11/2/05. His arm continues to gain strength. He can move it all over in water or when lying on his side, but not when in a standing position. The gravity is too strong for him.
Good Luck,
Sue
Kianas Dad

Post by Kianas Dad »

My daughter just had the c-7 surgery and we were informed that it should take 12-18 months before the nerve reaches the necessary point for hand movement. typically what needs to be done, is once the nevre reaches the muscle, a free muscle transfer is necessary. They do not perform the procedure until the nerve has reached that point because the musce requires a "hot nerve" so be re-invenerated. We were told to not expect movement for roughly 2 years from the primary surgery date.

By the way, on your c-7 transfer did they use the entire c-7 from the good side, or just part of it?

My daughter had all the same procedures 15 days ago...
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Just to add a note;

the burning pain you have is neurogenic pain and can be helped with Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Zanaflex), and a few others. If these are available to you I would ask your doctor.

Good Luck,
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
trr_amesh

Post by trr_amesh »

All

Thanks for your reply.
1)For this injury sidha medicine treat will be good.

2)What type of foods you are having. Any special food for nerve and mosule Grow will be fast.

3)During the treatment period (after prime surgery)
doing the sex intercouse will effect the nerve growing?

4)After completion of my prime surgery during the past 15 months, I have not feeled any movement in my hand. Any syntems is there.

Regards

T.R.Ramesh
trr_amesh

Post by trr_amesh »

Montreal

i am usally take Gabapentin or Lyrica 75 mg. Because of the medicne i am getting one or two hour relief.

In addition due to pain killer body getting heat and lasyness.

Any other physical activity is available for relief the pain

Thanks and take care here all.

Ramesh
Fredrick

Post by Fredrick »

Sorry to inform you of bad news, but your recovery from this injury will never be 100%. From my nerve graft, 11/17/05, I have noticed some improvement in hand strength. But not enough to perform simple tasks like typing. As far as the burning sensation? The pain I experience I have learned to live with. Some days are worse than other days. What helps me is regular streching of my rigfht arm, hot showers, and medications. You learn to tollerate the pain better in time. Good luck, and remember that you are not alone.
trr_amesh

Post by trr_amesh »

Milwaukee, Wi

Thanks for your reply and please reply for my further few quries. It will increase my self confident.

1)When you got the improvement. What doctor is saying for present condition?

2)This is the end level or still it has to improve. For that how long it will take?

3)After your improvement also are you wearing sling? At present are you taking any treatment or Pysiotherophy for improvement. As of now i am taking electronic simulation (Galvanic type) in pysio treatment. Are yoy taking electronic simulation and which type?

Goodluck and take care.
Ramesh
srhykerd

Post by srhykerd »

Ramesh,
My daughter Melanie had avulsed C5,C6,C7,C8 and T1 and underwent nerve and muscle transfers May 2006 at the Mayo Clinic. She used the neuromuscular stimulator after surgery 4-5 times a day. In October of 2006 she started to get some muscle movement in her bicep. We had a follow up appointment at Mayo in Dec of 2006 and they said she was progressing very well and that by her next appointment in June of 2007 she should have some triceps movement which she is just starting to get now. I don't think anyone can predict how much or when your nerves and muscles will heal. Everyone is so individual. Sue
trr_amesh

Traumatic Brachial Plexus query

Post by trr_amesh »

Dear Doctor

This is from T.R.Ramesh (Age-32). I had met with road accident on Jan-2006, due that I had an injury of TRAUMATIC BRACHIAL PLEXUS PALSY - GLOBAL AVULSION (RIGHT). (C5, C6, C8 and T1)[/b]

Because of the above injury, I was undergone for surgery at Apollo hospital in Chennai (India) on Feb -2006. They have done "Exploration and nerve transfer Right Brachial Plexus Spinal accessory to Suprascapular, Intercostal to Musculocutanes and Contra lateral C7 to Median nerve via Vascularised Ulnar nerve Graft".

Hence, as of now I am taking in Electronic Simulation treatment daily.

In the above, I need a few clarifications from you for increase my self confident and mental preparation.

1)How long it will take for recover the hand. (Approximately)

2) This is recoverable injury or not.

3) When the pain will reduce? Because of this reason, I am in 24-hour burning sensation.

I request you to clarify the same. Thanks and waiting for your early reply.

Ramesh.T.R

Chennai-600042, India

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:30 pm.