TBPI injury statistics

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Kianas Dad

TBPI injury statistics

Post by Kianas Dad »

Out of curiosity,

Are there any statistics that show what activity was being performed when a traumatic bpi occurred? I was speaking with my daughters therapist and she mentioned all of hers have been from; football, soccer and motorcycles. I shared that with my daughter and she was going to do a paper on the subject at school.

Any help would be appreciated,
Roger
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: TBPI injury statistics

Post by Kath »

Roger I move a Roll Call post to the top of this page.
I has a lot of information for your daughter.
I don't know if there is a study with stats.

I hope it helps her.
Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi Roger
Good time to ask your question-I see it's been almost a year since I last crunched the stats on our roll call thread, I've been slack.
I am pasting below the figures from the last time I crunched which your daughter may find interesting. The only studies I've seen usually say that these injuries happen mainly to males and motorcycle accidents are the commonest cause of the most serious ones. Our unofficial survey shows that after road accidents, physician caused injuries are commonest, funny enough most doctors don't include that as a cause in their stats....I do think that as women and girls are doing more contact sports they are getting injured more. I have also read that 65% of college gridiron players will get a bpi at some time in their playing careers, albeit usually milder injuries that resolve without surgery, they call these injuries 'stingers' or 'burners'.
Here are those figures from last time, from the 'roll call, lurkers too' thread, this number crunch was done on 2nd Jan 2006

"Total tbpi now on this thread 206
Of those who specified there were 130 males,68 females. All studies I have seen indicate tbpi is far commoner in males than females. As a high impact trauma injury that's not surprising, I guess. 31 new injuries since last crunching is not good to see :0(

Causes where specified break down as follows

Motorcycle 81
Car/Truck accident 24
Physician caused 22
Pedestrian hit by vehicle 9
Quad bike/ATV 9
Bicycle 5
Snowmobile 4
Tree falling 4
Fall 3
Airbag 3
Powerboat accident 2
Gunshot 2
Horseriding 2
Overuse at work 2
Rugby League 1
Virus 1
Snowboarding 1
Skiing 1
Ski lift 1
Tumour 1
Throwing softball 1
Knocked over by dog 1
Tractor/posthole digger 1
Sign falling 1
Wall falling 1
Heavy door falling 1
X ray equipment falling 1
Climbing accident 1
Waterski accident 1
Jetski 1
Playground accident 1
Football 1
Watching movie 1
Exercise bike fall 1
Combine 1
Bus accident 1

A couple of new causes there, virus and rugby league injury. I wonder how many of these tbpi had significant recovery since they first posted?

Nationalities where specified

USA 126
England 24
Scotland 6
Ireland 1
Isle of Man 1
Canada 5
Australia 4
New Zealand 3
South Africa 2
Jordan 1
Italy 1
Portugal 1
Singapore 1
Israel 1
Togo 1

Lovely to meet you all, as Chris said, we are all survivors, keep it up!!
Jen NZ
alaskanmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom of daughter with complete right brachial plexus avulsion from a sledding accident

Post by alaskanmom »

hi, My 16 year old daughter, Caralyn, had a complete brachial plexus avulsion from a sledding accident 2 years ago. So there is another for your statistics. Female, sledding and hit a power pole.
Rene
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

We also have a young mother from Texas with a bpi from C-Section. I think her name is Michelle.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Kath,

It was Michelle that ended up with a BPI from a
C-section.

Hugs,

Karen