Is the weight of the arm a huge problem for you?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Gayle Ozzy

Is the weight of the arm a huge problem for you?

Post by Gayle Ozzy »

Hi, I haven't posted for quite a while as I was off the air for a while.
I am wanting to know if the weight and the drag of the arm is a huge issue for other people?
It's been 3 1/2 years since my accident and my Dr's are only now thinking that I might have done damage to my shoulder (rotator cuff). My arm was severly twisted and smashed in 3 places so it's likely I guess. It's just that I can't get to the Dr's again till Aug to have an MRI.
My shoulder use to sublux terribly before I got some muscle back. I eventually got some bicep back which has helped stop the subluxing but not the weight issue.
The fact that my other side arm and shoulder was amputated musn't help because I'm so light on one side and heavier on the other. I just wanted to know though as the dead weight dragging issue isn't talked about much?
Thanks
Gayle
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Is the weight of the arm a huge problem for you?

Post by jennyb »

Yes, it's a problem for me and I hate it. However, I guess it didn't affect me too much up until the last few years, until then I just dealt with it. Now the way I twist my body to hold the limp arm is really starting to affect me and I want an amputation. The doctors told me to do it years ago (I mean about 23 years ago!) but I was angry with them at the time. Maybe if they had put it to me a bit differently I would have done it back then-I certainly think I would have avoided a lot of the neck and spine issues I'm having now. But they said it needed removing because it was 'unsightly'! Bloody cheek! Some of those medical staff present were less than perfect in appearance, which I lost no time in pointing out. :0)
The other issue is the danger of injury to the arm, I'm always doing it and one day I'll get an infection I won't notice.........so on balance I wish I'd chopped it years ago.
Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My husband uses a variety of slings to support the dead weight of his left arm; we rotate them so none of them chafe for too long in the same spot.I don't know where you live, but do a web search for medical equipment and supplies for assisted living. I will try to find my web addresses I used to purchase online and post again.
Gayle Ozzy

Post by Gayle Ozzy »

Yeh I do have a great sling my OT designed for me to hold the shoulder in the socket (velcro so it can be tighted up). It's just that the weight of it isn't just a minor problem it's a major problem I can only bear it for maybe 1/2 an hour without resting my elbow on something to take the weight. The burning and the drag gets overwhelming. It maybe the fact that I've nothing on the otherside to balance things as I mentioned above, but is it this bad for you guys because I'm starting to think that there is major damage to my shoulder (rotator cuff)??
Thanks to those that answered,
Gayle
P.S. Hi Jamie, I may have been pushing the button to the lift, but it would have been with my big toe! (my feet have become quite adatable. I was left handed, but I'm now right footed)!!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I am OBPI but it was years before I realized that my arm was heavy and that was why I hunched up all the time.

Sometimes this can be a real pain in the neck!

Kath ( robpi/adlt)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

My arm is really heavy too, but I never use a sling. I found out very early on that using a sling caused me other problems. Using a sling shifted the weight problem to the other side and caused neck strain there.

I rest my arm on my knee when sitting down, or on the arm of a chair, or just on a table, or whatever is available. Walking, I either stuff it into my coat pocket, or let it hang. Standing up I usually just fold my arms.

I've had the weight of this arm for 13 years now, and it has affected the muscles in my neck, no doubt about it. It also hasn't done much for my spine..it's made my slight scoliosis worse. Time for me to seriously think about getting rid of it.

Lizzy F
Susie Kaye

Post by Susie Kaye »

Hi Gayle,

I suffered the weight and pulling on my neck and back for over 3 yrs. and I couldn't take it any more. I hate to even complain considering what you have gone through, but I went ahead and had mine amputated. I had absolutely no use of any nerves at all. My whole arm was flail. I'm glad I did it. I still get some problems with some of my neck and upper back mucles getting some spasms. I have to exercise and work them out. I am having some pt for that 3 times a week for 4 weeks.

You are in my prayers as you make the decision as to what you need to do.

Take care,

Susie Kaye
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

I make the comment to people often that you do not realize how heavy your limbs are until you hurt one. Yes, like the others have said I have problems with the weight of my arm. I wear a waist pack so when I go out shopping I have something to rest it on. If standing around talking I will put it in my pocket to relieve some of the pressure. At night I take a fleece shawl and wrap it around me to keep it close. Almost like you would swaddle a baby. I also do that while watching TV.
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
jacko

Post by jacko »

Had my arm chopped off 4 and a half years ago, and I've never looked back. I much prefer my life now compared to when I used to carry that dead weight around. I will never regret the decision, even if the technology to regrow a perfect working arm was found tomorrow. I've had 4 1/2 years of hassle-free life already. If anyone is thinking of taking this option, and missed my previous threads on the topic, feel free to e-mail me at "andymarina2002@yahoo.co.uk"