Your favorite things

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
njbirk

Your favorite things

Post by njbirk »

I'm preparing an article for the next Outreach about things that we have found we can't live without. I know we have all shared from time to time about products we have found that help us live a better life.

If you'd like to participate in the article, please email me (nancy@ubpn.org) with your idea(s). I can either attribute your quote to you or we can do it anonymously.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
admin
Site Admin

Re: Your favorite things

Post by admin »

My laptop
Until I was injured, I didn't even have a computer--now it is essential.
Onepaw
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hi Nancy,

What a good idea! Does having a 'Neil' around count?? ;0)

..joking apart, I do find that Blu Tack http://www.artech-electronics.com/us/pr ... utack.html is the best thing ever invented. Without it, I wouldn't be able to make the jewellery. Also, one-handed G clamps are very useful for all sorts of things. Can't seem to find a picture of one, but every DIY'er will know what I mean.

Lizzy f
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, Neil def. counts, but since everyone else won't have access to him, we'd best not include him in our article :)

I'm not sharing Tim with anyone either ...

Thanks to those who have responded here and also those who have sent emails. We are accumulating a great list.

Nancy
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Bumping this up again.
I'm putting the article together now, so, this is a 'last call'. Come on and share what you've found works for you and makes living with a bpi just a little bit easier.

You can email to me directly (nancy@ubpn.org) or post here. Be sure to let me know how you want your name published.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi nancy
Don't know how I missed this first time round, thanks for bumping it up!
I love my left handed scissors, much better than turning right handed ones upside down! Plus, my Niwashi for gardening is fabulous, I don't know how I managed without it. If you like gardening I can't recommend this tool enough and it's available in a left handed version too. Weeding and digging are so easy with it. WHY don't manufacturers make a percentage of things things left handed as a matter of course? http://www.niwashi.co.nz/niwashi.htm Don't mind how you use this info nancy, anon or not, whatever fits the article best.
I do also have a Pete who is very useful :0)
Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When showering, James has really liked his long handled sponge thingy. Its alot easier to use than a washcloth. Also, soap in pump containers or flip tops is easier than figiting with bar soap. Squeezable containers for some foods like jelly and butter that would be hard to spread sometimes.
jacko

Post by jacko »

This little gadjet is the biz ! http://www.chefsresource.com/ezs-100-2.html
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Hate driving w/out one...

http://www.thehotrodgirl.com/suicideknobs.html

http://www.shrunkenheads.com/catalog/ca ... s/misc.asp

There are custom ones that you can place your own photo inside
Brandon_3