Hello ?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Aloha

Hello ?

Post by Aloha »

Why is this board so slow ( often times 6 hrs no reply ) - are you guys hanging out in another area :) or website. TIA
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello ?

Post by admin »

I'm not, i just can never find something to reply to. what do you want to talk about. :) Cara
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

There is another message board where people hang out, especially the Brits http://p072.ezboard.com/badultswithbrac ... usinjuries
this one has become quite a lot about surgery which is of course very useful. I and many others, especially long termers, had no surgery and don't have plans to have any so I find there isn't much I can say except to support people where I can. When I need to cheer up and talk to like minded people I go to the message board linked above. Be persistent Aloha and if anyone's around who can help, they will.
Jen NZ :0)
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Welcome Aloha!
I have found much useful information on this board. As with many message boards people come and go and hopefully find the help they need and can get on with living their lives as fully as possible. Sometimes it is just very difficult for some to do a lot of typing when coping with this injury. The same questions do tend to keep popping up and members simply can't retype their stories over and over and so they often just post when they have an update or lurk until they see a subject they can offer advice about.
Might I suggest that you read through the previous posts (there are many). I am sure that you will find many of the answers you are looking for and lots of resources and links to helpful information.
For example, I know there have been some members who have had the tendon transfer surgery and have posted doctor information and the results of their surgeries here. If you find someone you would like to ask a specific question of, you may be able to contact them through their personal email by clicking on their username.
Stick around and click around. There are lots of caring, helpful souls here and so much information. I know you will find lots of useful advice.

Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Aloha
I forgot to mention that you will get more response to your questions if you put them into the subject line. This way, if someone is browsing the titles, they can see it immediately rather than having to read through all of the postings. I can assure you that you will get better results this way.
All the best!
kd's daddy

Post by kd's daddy »

Faith not really sitting waiting on the computer all day waiting for someone to post. a little busy ya know a job! a family! a life ! this subject is very important to me however I dont live for a poster.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

kd's daddy, tbpi is often quite a serious injury and you should be aware that many, many people with tbpi quite simply do not have a job, a family or a life without crippling pain-they would give anything to have those things. I know there are many who quite simply hang on for contact from others who understand how they feel, people who don't have a tbpi just don't get it, even people who are around us all day. For many of us these message boards are our only support.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Jenny I agree with you totally! I Do not have a job yey, becasue of my arm... there are days that I think, "Where the heck is everyone?"

kd's daddy, tbpi is basically the same the injury as obpi but in more ways than I could ever explain, it is TOTALLY different! For people who are newly injured they have quesitons and want to talk with people who understand what they are going through.

Not only was your comment uncalled for, you probably made a newbie feel unwelcome and that is not cool! UBPN is about helping others! We are here to support each other and if you cant do that... my mom always said, "If you cant say anything noce, dont say anything at all" Please remember that and repect what we are going through, emotionally!!

COurt :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Aloha! Welcome to the boards! I am Priscilla, mom to James. He is 13 and has had his TBPI for a little over 2 years now. I can honestly say I know how you feel in some ways about wanting (needing) information. When my son was injured and I found this site, it basically consumed my life for the longest time, just trying to connect with others, trying to help James. I was litterly lost. The guys here on the TBPI board has been wonderful in helping us. Sometimes this board just moves a littel slower than the others.

KD's daddy, please try to be a little more sympathetic and considerate of others here. I wasnt even the injured person when I found these boards and even though I was dealing with a very serious injured child (more than a BPI) I sat at this computer day and night asking for help!!! And I got it!!! Thanks all you TBPI"s, you guys are our heros!!!!!
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

KD's daddy...I hope you are man enough to apologise.

Lizzy