Cookbook or Recipes for One Handed Cooking

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
EllenB

Cookbook or Recipes for One Handed Cooking

Post by EllenB »

Hello All,

My son will be heading off to college next fall & will be on his own from that point forward. I'd like to begin compiling a cookbook for him with recipes that are manageable one-handed. At best, this would include all categories: appetizers, main course, vegetables, salads, breads & desserts. Easy quick stuff but also some recipes in there to impress a girlfriend one of these days (smile)!

If you have any favorites, please email them to me at LNBram@bellsouth.net or fax to 404-845-0022. Ubpn board, what would you think about having a special section on here for posting recipes? Maybe different threads for the different categories??? If not, I'll put everything into a Word format & can email out to requesters once I start hearing back & things start cookin'.

Of course, there may well be published cookbooks that you like - please suggest these as well.

Take care, bon appetit & thanks in advance,

Ellen
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Cookbook or Recipes for One Handed Cooking

Post by Christopher »

You're a good mom Ellen! ... unfortunately I've been letting my 'fingers do the walking' a little too much these days. Delivery is too cheap & good. But steak and baked potato are my 'easy & over with' homemade meals. Never did learn to eat my veggies. Sorry mom...

The best thing I can think of though is to out fit him w/stuff that helps him prepare food w/one hand.

http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/pr ... ection=517

List of things that truly have helped me...

-Etac Deluxe One-Handed Pairing Board
-One-Handed Food Prep Board (spreading anything on bread)
-EZ Squeeze One-Handed Can Opener
-One-Handed Fruit & Veggie Scrubber (Haven't used it on any veggies)
-Grater w/suction feet
-Rocking T Knife - what I use to cut steak and such with (this site only lists it in the "One-Handed Kitchen Helper Kit")

Good luck with everything, give my best to John, I'm sure he'll figure out what works best for him.

Cheers,
Chris
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Ellen if he does NOT have a George Foreman grill, HE NEEDS ONE! They are great and a total life saver! No worrying aout a pan on the stove! ill keep thinking.... Im deffo with Chris here, one handed kitchen stuff is the best! Also Black and Decker makes a line called GIZMO, there stuff is the BEST!!!!! Let us knoe...

COurt :)
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Ellen,

It's a great idea to set up some pages with these kinds of tips. Want to work with me to design it?

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
babyryd

Post by babyryd »

I love the veggie scrubber for cleaning that grubby little 7yr old hand of Chase's. It's a multipurpose scrubber - stick one in the bathroom sink and away with those germs, bug parts and whatever lurks under those nails and hidden areas - what do little boys do to get so dirty!http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/Pr ... _Id=920618
Thanks!
Lourdes

Susana

Post by Susana »

Ellen, I thought your son already moved his hand.
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hi Susana,

John doesn't have individual finger movement, nor can he rotate his wrist - so to a great extent he primarily functions with the one hand.

Thanks everybody for your ideas!

Ellen
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

PS - Courtney, thanks to you there will be a George Foreman grill under the tree this year - what a great suggestion! The box is currently in my 16 yr old daughter's closet since her room is such a mess nobody is willing to go in there.

Ellen
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Glad to hear about the Foreman Grill under the tree for John! I really would not cook like I Do without it, and I cna steady a pan with my bpi arm but wow is it ever a pain in the arse! I cnat tell you how many times I have burned it! And it takes FOREVER To heal!! Hope its a big success Ellen! Merry Christmas!!

COurt :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

an aloe plant to heal the burns! lol lol