Driving with bpi on the right arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Driving with bpi on the right arm.

Post by diargasm »

I am 18 years old now and I really need to start being independant. My brother just let me drive around the block and I was nervous as hell. I know some people here are opposed to the idea of a bpi person driving, but I really feel I need to be able to. I live in Southern California, and the idea of not having a car is ridiculous because everything is spaced out. I can use the shift stick with my bpi arm, but since I had a tendon transfer on my hand, it can be hard pushing the button in. i have a loose joint on my thumb and I will probably have to have an operation to fix it.

My questions are: What are some things I can do to be comfortable? When I make a turn with my left hand it can be very difficult to keep turning the wheel. Any ideas on that?
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Driving with bpi on the right arm.

Post by Christopher »

Get a suicide nob. I've been driving since day one w/one hand and have adapted quite well. The only real problem is the frustration of wanting to itch my nose, sip some water, or wave to the postman etc. when my one hand is tied to the wheel.

Try this link found on our sister English site: http://www.lodgesons.co.uk/ When I buy my next car, this is what I'm getting. Operates all major control with the hand you're steering with, I'd want if both hands were able! Here's the page I found it on: http://www.tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/vehicledvla.html

Hope this helps. Buy an automatic, even if you can operate a manual. No need to put yourself thru more stress than necessary. Buy the way, it's fully legal to drive w/one good arm, hell quadriplegics can drive with barely using just one limb all together, talk about courage! Good luck, hope this helps.

Chris
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hey - quick question. When the hand control site states "dip/main lights" does that mean brights or fog? John's injury is on his left side & I wish for the good ol days when the brights were operated with a little thingie on the floor of the car. So often on curvy mountain foggy roads, you need the ability to keep that hand on the wheel but also do the on/off/on quickly with the brights or fogger.

Ellen
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Hi Ellen,
I believe there are more than one way to skin this cat. I've got an old truck that still has that floorboard switch and am very greatfull for it. But the single hand controller should be geared to control all of those type of things. I remember reading about it over a year ago on the UK site and the owners loved them and stated that they were very easy to get used to and one unit was interchangable between cars that had been set up for them. Hope this helps, I'm sure there has to be a US destributor that could answer any questions anyone has. Just have to do a google search or email that UK destributor.

Give my best to John, my sister just cooked dinner and is yelling at me, she says hello as well... Take care.

Chris
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Ellen,
I forgot to add before I was so rudely interupted and she's now on the phone, with mom (who says hi!), any good or old time mechanice could rig up any car with one of those floorboard light switches. It's a pretty basic wiring job. On the one handed controller you operate all other car functions with your thumb on the fly. Take care. time for dessert...

Chris
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Thanks Christopher. Do you know if I will need to get some type of paperwork for the dmv that says I'm disabled but that I still have a clearance to drive, or do I go about getting a license like any other person?
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

I spoke to a lady w/a BPI that had her license revoked because she lost consciousness during her accident. California law states she was required to take the drivers test over again. She told me that the only special requirement she had to pay attention to was that she never try to reach threw the steering wheel to operate any switches on her car eg: headlights, blinkers, window wipers, and easily forgettable the ignition (since the car's not moving). You must reach around the steering wheel to operate any of those.

As far as I understood it, at least in California, there wasn't any kind of special attention payed to her situation that she had to have any other than normal paper work for. Good luck to you and happy trails, or roads or what ever you drive upon.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dude,
im 16 in 14 days nd have been driving in feilds and car parks for years, i had my accident 18months ago from been hit by a car. the things u need are:

a nob on your steering wheel
confidense
practice
someone patein in the car with you
determineation

put ur mind to it...u'll find wat works for you, but the best way 2 findout it to keep practising

gd luck!
pierre
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Dont forget your knee! it can solve the "wave to the postman " thing.
You can adjust your seat/stering whell and for moments drive with your knee. Try this.
Paulo
bellis

Post by bellis »

I've reduced my driving time as my better arm is wearing out and whats worse than constant pain on the BP affected left arm is pain in both arms. I used a suicide knob for a year or so but found I overused it and made the good arm not so good. My 48 years has to be considered but at your age give one a try. I'm looking into a computerized joy stick steering modification. I have a driver assessment scheduled for early Nov. The company who manufactures this system is in Louisianna.