social security

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

social security

Post by admin »

anyone with bpi had any luck getting social security disability. have 25 year old son with right bpi complete paralyzed arm

Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: social security

Post by Kath »

I attended the SSA conference on the revisions to be made in the Blue Book SSA uses to determine eligibility for SSD/SSDI.
They do not have a code just for bpi injury and one of the judges said he had to hire an outside source for information when he was adjudicating a tbpi case for SSD.
We requested SSA to Assign a specific code just for bpi disability determination.
At present they use bits and pieces of the codes listed on the link below and try to apply them to BPI cases.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilit ... -Adult.htm

We truly need to be listed under a separate code or this code should include the words brachial plexus injury.

I would advise you to keep detailed records of doctor's visits.
Copies of all his test results
Begin to document all of your sons problems now.
He may be eligible for educational and vocational training because of his injury.

In order to be granted SSD you must present, to the person who determines your claim, a clear picture as to how this injury impacts your life.
You must also seek the support of your doctor
You should ask to see a copy of the letter he/she writes in support of you claim for disability.
Documents pertaining to this injury are very important to submit with your application because SSD uses the Blue Book to see what code you fit under.
The Blue Book does not have a code specifically for Brachial Plexus Injury either as a traumatic event or birth injury.

I was advised by the SSA worker assigned to my case to write a resume and include all the things I could and could not do.
I actually provided information on the function and pain level in both arms, hands and legs...
The more evidence you submit as to the extent of your initial injury and how it affects you now the better your chances of being awarded disability.
I also had to include every job I ever held and the tasks I preformed.
I was asked to include all volunteer positions and the projects I preformed at those organizations.
It was an SSA staff member, in my state office, who gave me the best advice on presenting a true picture of my personal injury and health issues.

I hope this helps... perhaps Courtney can shed more light on this and give you some direction.
Kath M (Adult/OBPI)

Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
shelley bsw

Post by shelley bsw »

Good job, Kath. Also everyone needs to remember that when working with attorneys, workers, SSI etc that they use the word "residual". This injury is residual and that's one word I learned to use going through the process with Courtney. There seems to always be some "residue" from this injury showing up elsewhere. Beverly, make sure you are ready an willing to really put all of your strength in it because you will need it. But....the outcome can be great if you stay with it and persevere the whole nine yards. Stand up and be
counted wherever you are. If and when you hire an attorney make sure he's a disability attorney and one that will work side by side with you....Good Luck!

Shelley, Courtney's mom
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

These people got it right on the head! I am Courtney that Kath talks about and Shelley is my mom, I am the one who emaied you. If you need anyhting else, feel free to email me!!

COurt :)
Wes

Post by Wes »

Well Beverly i wish you all the luck and patience with SSD. Your probably going to have to appeal it. I have been awaiting my appeal hearing since January 2005. I was denied my first time last September 2004. I got an attorney and i got my state rep. involved and it is now almost 13 months of a dog fight. Social security is anything but fast at hearing your case i am told and they want you to fight for everything that you deserve. I have tbpi to my right arm, had surgery 6 months after i was injuried. Pulled c5&c6 out of my spine, however i am making huge leaps and bounds towards a great recovery. So i wish you all the luck with SSD fight, keep fighting you'll win

Wes
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi there are you from England? If so your son is entitled to Disability Living Allowance
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

no
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

When I asked a local attorney about Social Security benefits for John (who avulsed all five), he stated that since John could perform work (such as a greeter at K-Mart) he would not be considered for benefits. i.e. it wouldn't matter what his career objective might have been (assuming it would call for the use of both hands) - since he could at least get a paycheck (even if for minimum wage).

So - how to combat that kind of mentality??? Help!

Ellen
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Ellen.... I won my suit aon the basis that I am not done with surgery yet. I wish that I could remember the exat clause we used but it worked! I needed a letter from Nath stating that I am NOT done with surgery yet! I would honestly talk with another attorney maybe. I have GREAT hand function for BPI but I sitll won... email me if you like. I can put you in contact with my attorney who has guys he works with all over the US!

COurt :)
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Ellen
It is crazy but I heard someone say that at the Social Security meeting in NY.

Does his injury fall under spinal cord injury also since all 5 nerves were avulsed? I also think you need a new attorney because cases have been won for bpi and he should qualify.

The problem for bpi injured is that we do not have a code in the Blue Book that is specifically for brachial plexus injury. The ones responsible to grant disability must look us up under the Neurological code 11.00 and that does not suit us because if refers to two limbs......... so is an arm one and hand another? crazy

Kath adult/obpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi