Neurostimulation

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Gianni

Neurostimulation

Post by Gianni »

Has anyone had this devise surgically implanted? Gianni's pain management doctor has suggested that Gianni try this and maybe reduce his need for all of the pain meds he is on.

www.medtronicpain.com
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Neurostimulation

Post by jennyb »

Hi
You might find this page interesting, it's about pain relief using various invasive methods such as the neurostimulator http://www.arachnoiditis.info/content/i ... ments.html It isn't very encouraging, especially with regard to long term use. Over the years I've been supporting bpi sufferers, I have yet to speak to anyone who got any kind of relief from this, and there seem to be no proper independent trials proving its effectiveness-I have searched extensively. As ever, I find the contrast between the Medtronic site information and the independent consumer's site quite an eye opener, you would think there were virtually no risks and practically miraculous results if you just read the manufacturer's site.
Sorry to be so negative. More and more people seem to be being offered these things, so if anyone has had long term positive effects please post.
Let us know how Gianni goes if he decides to go ahead with this, here's hoping he gets some relief soon.
Jen NZ

stx431

Post by stx431 »

Hey, Carrie had a Medtronic neurostimulator installed several years ago with no reduction of pain whatsoever. It's a shame because it sounded so promising, (replacing the pain with a mild tingling snsation), but it never happened. Had it reprogrammed several times redirecting the stimulas path, but still no reduction in pain. To get the stimulas to her hand/fingers, she had to crank it up so high, it would aggrivate her shoulder so bad she had to turn it off. She turned it off for a couple of years ago and we're thinking about having it removed. She tries it occassionally to see if any reinevation may have changed, and improved the stimulator performance, but no luck. Sorry for the bad report, but better to hear both sides berfore you have one installed, maybe/hopefully it'll work for you. These TBPI's are different with each person, but so similar in many areas. Dick
motoxxxracer_34

Post by motoxxxracer_34 »

hi, i had accident in feb 14 2004,nevre graphby Hentz in may 04, try all types ofpills, methadone help grealy for 6 mthsnow it is inducing pain. I dont remember the exact nerves iknow wholetrunkswhereavuls, died in the accident. T/C 1-5 and T/C 1-3 forget which is which. I wassuppose to get the stimulator done around nov 04 then standford delay wanted to try other pills, now been trying toget it done for 2 months, but after hearing thisand seeing that site, not so sure it is a good idea. I am just in so much pain.
babyryd

Post by babyryd »

My son is thankfully able to function with the use of neurontin, but the thread on DREZ is quite interesting and sounds like people have amazing results with it's ability to help control pain. I can't imagine having to live with the pain I've read about and my heart and prayers go out to those of you who do.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The last few words from you ( so much pain) my heart goes out for you. I was taking many pills,morphe,oxycotin,ect. for 3 years and had little effect on my degenerative disc pain.Then a severe auto accident left me with a broken back, ribs, and sternum. Worst injury of all is my severe bpi.Rconstructive surgery failed and all I have is continuos pain. I am living on gabapentin, meth, amitripyline,baclofen and paxil.Next month August is the neur-stimulator.I think not now!Thank you