Worried about nerve graft snapping{NOT SURE}

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
DEAN

Worried about nerve graft snapping{NOT SURE}

Post by DEAN »

Can anyone tell me how far i can try and stretch my arm and shoulder and if it is possible to actually break the sutchures that the surgeons put in to hold the nerves together.Im just not sure and a bit curious.
Its been just over 6 weeks since surgery.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Worried about nerve graft snapping{NOT SURE}

Post by admin »

Hi Dean,
Regarding your questions. Are you going to any physio since your op? These are the best people to give you the answers to your questions. After my surgery I was not allowed to raise my arm past 45 degrees for the first 3 months and after 6 months could take it to 90 degrees. As for the stretching, if is vital that you keep the arm as flexible as possible during the recovery period. I am constantly doing exercises with my arm, hand and fingers, around 3 to 6 times a day as time permits. I try and keep everything as flexible as possible. In doing this my upper arm has regained some shape and has not deterioted as much as it would if I didn't do these exercises. I can't stress enough that hydrotherpy is the best form of exercise that you can do. Water lightens the weight of the arm and you get more flexability. As for stretching the arm out physio has told me to do straightening stretches as far as I can go gradually extending the range over periods of time. This is really hard to do on your own, you need to have someone hold your arm and stretch it out for you. My mum does this for me every night, extending the arm and holding for 5 seconds, repeating it several times. I now can get my arm to not quite straight, but with time will eventually get it there.
Dean, would really like to know what damage you actually did and if you are keeping your arm slinged and puting your hand in a brace at all. This info would help me to give you a few more answers.
If you have any other questions, send me your phone no or email me and I'll try and help all I can.
Regards Michael.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Wait until you get the all-clear before putting your arm through any stress. 6 weeks is the absolute minimum that it takes for the nerve graft to join. It is a very fragile piece of kit, and its not worth taking chances.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Dean..... as Jacko said... BE CAREFUL! I know that you want to see what the old arm is going ot do now but you have to be patient with it! I was told no physio for 3 months after my graph, however slight very soft stretching in the elbow was ok after 8 weeks.... he didnt want the elbow to lock up. Ring your doc and see what he has to say, just to be on the safe side.

COurt xx

BTW welcome to the boards.....
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Of course, there are a lot of different things that are done surgically - so comparisons are dangerous. But I can tell you that for my son (all five avulsed, two complex nerve transfer & graft surgeries) it was important that he wear a sling when in a crowded situation (such as school hallway) so his arm wouldn't get wrenched back. He also couldn't let his arm extend beyond a 30 degree angle even after he was out of the sling.

Bottom line, ask your doctor & therapist!!

Take care,

Ellen
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hello,
I had to keep my arm in a sling that kept my arm strapped to my body for about 5 weeks. I was not allowed to stress my neck or take the sling off unless i was showering in which case i could only let my shoulder come out 45 degrees. Five weeks after my operation i had to do intense physiotherapy so that my shoulder didn’t freeze. I had 4 graphs i think but i would ask the doc who did the operation to be sure. You don’t want to be to cautious about moving it once you get the go ahead because you definitely don’t want your shoulder to freeze. 3 months seems a bit extreme to have your shoulder at no mare than 45 degrees for (I asked my physio) but depending on what your surgery entailed you might need that. You should got to a physio as soon as you get the okay (stick with it even though it hurts a bit)to make sure your shoulder doesn’t freeze. Hope this helps

Andrew