Curling Fingers

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
tinachick

Curling Fingers

Post by tinachick »

Does anyones fingers curl or look "crooked"? If so, any suggestions on how to correct it? Mine look terrible, almost arthritic
EllenB

Re: Curling Fingers

Post by EllenB »

John's fingers "want" to stay in something like that - kind of like the first position of the fingers when you're making a closed grip. This reduces the functionality of being able to grasp something, and Mayo discussed it when we were up there recently.

My (VERY unscientific & possibly misguided - i.e. I did't write anything down at the time) understanding is that something in there has tightened up, therefore there isn't enough "give" to let the fingers straighten. Mayo can do a procedure to fix the problem; it's not time sensitive so we can schedule it when convenient to us (i.e. around John's cycling racing schedule, if he gets his way).

Does that help?

Ellen
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

I'm pretty sure it's a sign that the ulnar nerve is damaged, in my case by some of my multiple fractures, lower down than the bpi itself, and in cases where there is no recovery like mine the hand eventually forms a claw. Mine is quite annoying as it catches on everything and as I have no feeling, I sometimes walk off with my hand stiuck in a drawer, a door handle or even once someones'belt loop.

If you have use of the hand it can be helped by surgery or splinting from what I've read.
Danzia

Post by Danzia »

Hello!
I have a BPI injury as well as ulnar nerve injury at my elbow.

My left hand is mostly clawed except for my second finger. I wear a brace/splint in the evening and while I sleep. For me, it's not something that can be really corrected but I've found that my fingers are not as clawed when I use the brace religiously.

It's something you might want to ask your doctor.
Good luck :)
Gillian
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Yes my hand claws and i can move my fingers but not straighten them past a certain point. It feels like the tendons working them are now too short. My BPI doc has offered a tendon transfer surgery to help correct it, has your doc suggested anything like that? It is called the lassoo procedure if i remember right.
Good luck,
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Just a thought, do you gals / guys exercise your BPI hands / fingers everyday? My dad's doctors and therapists told us that we have to exercise his BPI hands everyday because my dad has done a nerve graft and nerve transfer, we do not want the hand / fingers to become hard hence everyday my mum will massage / exercise my dad's BPI hand and fingers so his fingers are still normal except no movement.

Regards,
Hwee Yong
stx431

Post by stx431 »

We flex Carrie's fingers and wrist twice a day as highly recommemded by her BPI surgeon. He says it's imperative that we do that to maintain supple joints in her knuckles and wrist for when things start working either from natural reinervation or muscle transfer surgery. We've seen that Carries hand and fingers do not curl in and I think the daily therapy has helped. Her physical therapist ordered a hand splint to maintain her flexbility after we work her wrist and fingers. She's to wear that whenever she can and especially at night.

Till next time, Dick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone, since my accident in May last year, I have exercised my fingers every day several times a day. This was recommended by my doctor and physio before and after surgery. This has kept my fingers supple and really flexible. They do no look any different from my non bpi hand. I thinks this is the way to go and was advised by medical staff that if and hopefully when any movement comes back to my hand it will be beneficial is my hand is really flexible....hope this helps regards Michael
Danzia

Post by Danzia »

I do an hour of physical therapy exercises everyday.

One of the best exercises for your hand is putting it into a bag of rice and moving your fingers through it.

I also took ceramics classes when I was in college. That strengthened my hand so much! If you can take a pottery class from a local studio, take advantage of it. It's also quite a lot of fun and very relaxing.
Sandy Tschopp

Post by Sandy Tschopp »

My solution is really low-tech. C-5 thru T-1 avulsed, no function or feeling, just to avoid the claw look, I tape my fingers as flat as I can make them to a small piece of foam core (material used to back photos/art work, available at craft and art supply stores) at night.