Hydrotherapy

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Hydrotherapy

Post by admin »

Anyone out there had experience with hydrotherapy. Michael has started hydro to help build up the arm and keep everything as flexible as possible in the event that nerve surgery is a success and he gets some movement back. He has a series of exercises to go through and is attending 3 times a week. I was quite surprised today when watching a session how much rom he gets in the water. Just curious as to what other peeps have experienced with this type of therapy. Regards Narelle
EllenB

Re: Hydrotherapy

Post by EllenB »

I think water therapy is one of the best ways to extend movement for ROM exercises. Taking gravity out of the equation allows much more to be done. Three times a week is excellent, too!

The first indication we had of muscle innervation, post surgery, for John was when he was in someone's swimming pool at a July 4th party He surprised us all by realizing he could move his arm. We basically freaked out, as you can imagine.

Take care,

Ellen
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Narelle, I did hydrotherpay for about 6 months and it was GREAT! One of the greatest benefits I got from it was the relearn where my arm was in corisondence with my body, if that makes sense. I had a hard tie to know without feeling for it, where my arm was (on my tummy, at my side, etc) Ther was a day my physio couldnt be there so another physio came in, I was already in the pool warming up, she didnt even know I had a BPI! That was great too! I could do so much in the ppol. As Ellen said, the total elimination of gravity was wonderful! I could bend my arm into my chest and almost get it all the way behind my back! I have some home exercizes if you are interested, I could email them to you, just let me know! Keep up with this physio as long as he can! It really helped me!

COurt xx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Courtney

Yes please email away. Would be very interested in any exercises. We have a pool ourselves at home so Michael intends to get into it as much as possible when the weather warms up a bit. Regards Narelle
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

What is your email addy? I can scan then inot my puter nad then send htem to ya..... You can email to me if you like.... wildncrazyney@aol.com

COurt xx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone, just another comment on hydrotherapy. After Michael's session yesterday also had to attend normal physio at hospital as well. Was quite surprised that both hydro physio and other physio were quite prepared to compare notes on what exercises Michael is doing and how each other can help with his exercises. On the down note on this we won't be doing both in the same day again as it took too much out of him (the reason we did it was that I could only get this day off work and hence you have to try and squeeze everything in as much as possible). He was in quite a bit of pain last night and this morning said that his biceps actually felt sore. Not paining but an actual soreness in his arm. I found this quite surprising as he does not have any feeling in his arm. By mid afternoon today he felt better and the arm was not as sore. Perhaps it was just a bit of overdoing it.
Thanks for your replies. Michael is keen to keep up the hydrotherapy..... he actually enjoys it. The physio is also keen as well... it is the first BPI injury that he has had to work with and is finding it quite interesting....take care everyone regards Narelle and Michael
RottieJan

Post by RottieJan »

hi all!

narelle & michael - i haven't had actual hydrotherapy, but my physio highly recommended doing my exercises in a pool. also, just after my injury, we went to cuba for a week and i found the ocean to be wonderful for my exercises.

good luck to all,

hugs,

jan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow! it is good to hear that BPI people can get in the pool and exercise. I had been thinking about it but was unsure. There are three pools where I live, one is heated year round..live in Ocala, Florida...so I have a great resource available to me. Can't wait to try it!

Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Pat
Go for it...Michael is going three times a week at the moment and he loves it. The warmth of the water and the release on his arm is amazing. The heaviness and pressure taken off his arm during his sessions is worth it. Have to admit he does get a bit tired after a session because the physio has him working quite a bit... not excessively... but enough to get the arm a good workout. Our aim is that he will keep everything quite flexible and build up the arm in the event that he gets something from surgery he will be able to move the arm without any strain. Let us know how you go... would be interested and good luck..Regards Narelle & Michael.