I AM HAVING SURGERY

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
BrianD

I AM HAVING SURGERY

Post by BrianD »

I just talked to Dr. Shenaq's office. He saw my EMG report and says that the Quad surgery is best for me and will help. Is it normal to be nervous? I am trying to get everything in-line, but it sounds like I will be in Houston May 11th thru May 17th. I am both nervous and anxious. I am to the point I don't know what to do. I can't believe this is happening. I am shaking with anticipation. Now let's just pray that my insurance company will pick up the tab. All I should pay for according to my insurance plan is my flight and hotel for the days I am not in the hospital. If there is anything you all can offer that would help me calm down that would be great. Thank you.
Brian
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: I AM HAVING SURGERY

Post by Kath »

Brian

I am so happy for you. I know how nervous you must be but I saw Nancy B both before surgery and after and wow what a difference... Just think of all the positive changes you are headed for...

But it is OK and normal to be nervous - going to the dentist makes most people nervous how much more anxious can you get over an operation. I will keep you in my prayers
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Susana

Post by Susana »

Just imagine all the things that you can't do today and will do after the surgery. Yes!!!!!!!
kamren

Post by kamren »

That is so GREAT!!! I am having surgury with Dr Shenaq on April 15...I will still be wearing the splint 24-7 When you are here:)

I am sooo nervous too. I think it is completly normal. Our lives will be sooo different afterwards. It isn't that we don't want it to change, but change still makes one nervous, even if it is GOOD change.

This Wednesday is my pre-op...I can hardly wait!!!:)
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Good Luck Kamren. I know what you mean. I am totally ready to have a useful arm. I am so pumped up about this I coldn't even sleep last night. My head has been going a million directions. Here I am, going to to have a procedure done that up until late last year I had no idea could be done. And I can't even begin to thank all of you for all of your support. It is absolutly amazing that total strangers with a common single bond, can be so helpful and instant friends. Thank you everyone!!
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Absolutely it is normal to be nervous, and excited too.

The day before my mod quad surgery, I was literally shaking, like I had the chills, I was so nervous.

I'm thrilled for both of you soon to go through this and wish new and exciting movement for you both.

Nancy
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Oh, I'm so excited for you!!! Congratulations! I just got back into town from Canada and saw your post or I would have congratulated you sooner. It is totally normal to be nervous. If you have any questions I can help you answer let me know. It is so normal to be nervous, however, you have made a great decision. I'm so happy for you!!
Dean-na

Post by Dean-na »

Congradulations!! I was nervous before my mod quad 8 months ago. I had a humeral osteotomy 6 weeks ago & that has been a major pain for me. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Deanna
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Define Irony:
I was talking to my sister the other day and was telling her about my surgery. I forgot, but when I was first born, the doctor put me in the same exact splint that I will be in after surgery. But wait it gets better. I will be having surgery 2 weeks before my birthday. So I will be in the same splint exactly 24 years later. Is that weird or what?
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

That is really weird now isn't it. Hopefully this time it works better for you. *S*
Happy Easter Eveyone