Neck Problems?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
I've had two surgeries at 9 months old, and 3 years old.
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.
My parents lost the court case due to a terrible jurey.

That's about it!
Hope I can find somebody my age to talk to :)

Neck Problems?

Post by SarahxG »

I was just wondering if having EXTREMELY tight muscles, nerves, ect. is normal on the injured side of the neck.
I go to physical therapy and they are constanly trying to loosen it up because of the discomfort it brings. However, it is so sensitive it is hard to effectively give it a "good stretch"

Sarah/15
kissygoose

Re: Neck Problems?

Post by kissygoose »

I have the same problem. y neck/shoulder are like one big tight ball of twine. And it's so sensitive that any type of massage or therapy generally is very painfull for me.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My neck and shoulders are always tight. Stretching in warm shower or hot tub helps loosen them up. Before a massage, it would be best to warm the muscle with hot towels etc., it seems to loosen the neck and shoulder and makes it easier to massage.
That works for me... hope it helps you.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
LOBI_Amanda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBI (1983)...No surgies yet....some physical therapy when younger....and recently began having horrible neck/back pain that radiats down BPI arm. Also starting to wake up with some numbness in various fingers and thumbs...seems to be no pattern.

Post by LOBI_Amanda »

Last edited by LOBI_Amanda on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

Thanks for the info Amanda! I'll have my mom look into it. The only question I have is, once you treat/warm up/stretch your neck, does anybody have really bad spasms afterwards? I go to therapy two times a week. Once a week they usually stretch out my neck really well. However, once I go home and lay in bed for the night, I can just feel all the spasms happening
SarahxG

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

tsalata wrote:I also have neck pain in the affected arm as well as near the armpit. As another person suggested, I use a tense unit. I first started using it when I was in about 5th grade, stopped using it in high school, and started back up about 10 years later. Stretching my arm against a wall also helps. It seems to release the back muscles and the biceps that try to pull my arm in so my neck starts to relax too.

As long as I can remember I have had tremors across my back after I work out, or lift something heavy. Most of the time it happens hours afterward. It doesn't really hurt, it is just awkward.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thank you for the reply. I am constantly trying to stretch my arm. I go to therapy about two times per week.. I still constantly get spasms though
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, Yes, & YES I have all the neck tightness. I use heat...a heat/massage-er pad .
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/73