Back Pain?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
I've had two surgeries at 9 months old, and 3 years old.
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.
My parents lost the court case due to a terrible jurey.

That's about it!
Hope I can find somebody my age to talk to :)

Back Pain?

Post by SarahxG »

Does anybody have back pain as a result of surgery or just the injury in general?

I had the modquad surgery when I was 3 years old.
I played basketball from about 5th grade until 8th. My mom (who is a nurse) believes that due to the way they tied some of my muscles back, and constantly turning my back wrong ways to assist my bad arm, that I know am having back pain. I have scoliosis and nobody can give me an exact yes or no answer as to whether the surgery has added to the curve. I go to physical therapy where they tend to my arm and also align my back.

~Sarah OBPI
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Re: Back Pain?

Post by emilyalberger »

i also have alot of pain EVERYWHERE lol what do you do to relieve pain? tylenols just like skittles to me now.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

YES I do have back pain. for a loooonnng time... :evil: :cry:
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

So it's not just me! I wish that nobody had to deal with pain, but I am relieved it is not me alone. For my pain I take Aleeve. I guess in a way it's like motrin. Well for me, it works 10x better. Give it a try, maybe it will help you too! I also see a chiropractor, which helps A LOT. He puts my spine in place and almost instantly I can feel a relief from pressure. Another thing I do is get deep massages a couple times a month. That is also a big help because it loosens my neck and back, the places it hurts most.
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

ok thank you, i did try a charopractor a couple times n it did seem to help. how well did the surgury work?
SarahxG

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

In the previous post the "Aleeve" I take is actuly spelled "Aleve" sorry about that.

In the case of my surgery. My mom said that she believes it gave me a lot more motion in my arm. However, she believes it caused the back pain\scoliosis I have now. At the time it was the best decision my parents could make. I guess you can never really know. Some doctors have told me that they believe the surgery SHOULD NOT have been done. Are you considering a surgery, or just curious?
emilyalberger

Post by emilyalberger »

if any kind of surgury i want lengthing surgury but i dont know if they will just do it
SarahxG

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

Is that surgery literally just meant to make your smaller arm longer?
emilyalberger

Post by emilyalberger »

yea ive heard different ways of doing the surgury
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I've always had back and neck pain. I've never had any surgery and tons of PT, Chiro etc.
I have scoliosis and scapular winging... not very noticeable since I've aged. Go figure when I was young and in a bikini... you could see it... Now I'm old and don't go swimming in public anymore... and it's not as noticeable. LOL.

At our Camp, in Washington, I used a Myotrac machine and one of the parents worked my arm with it on. The result was... I no longer shoulder life to move my arm. It relieved so much of the pain in my neck.

I think if many others check in, you will find we all have back pain. I'd check with a BPI doctor to see if there is anything they can do to help with the pain.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi