Surgery or Not? Help!!!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
AmberNicole0292
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Brachial Plexus on right arm due to birth.

Surgery or Not? Help!!!

Post by AmberNicole0292 »

I'm 18 years old, and i have BP on my Right arm due to birth. I have never had surgery in my life and im very scared.
They tell me its a 50/50 chance. Im confused on what to do any help?
cristinam

Re: Surgery or Not? Help!!!

Post by cristinam »

What kind of surgery are you looking into having?
sophielove13
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with erbs palsy and i am not going to lie its been freaking hard, i am only 14 right but i would like to help anybody also i need help myself

Post by sophielove13 »

My right arm has it to from birth, and i had surgery for it. It help a HOLE lot, i mean when i was younger my arm didnt go past a right angel and now it is almost staight and i am able to do more things. It hurt alot but i think you should do it
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Hello...Surgery is a huge risk no matter what type of surgery it is. You need to really weight out your options first. I am 39 yr. old with a LOBPI. I had surgery in Houston TX in 2002 and it has really helped me out a lot. However, I know one gal who the surgery didn't help out at all. How bad is your injury? Do you have movement in your fingers etc. My arm was starting to shrink and paralyze itself...I had the Mod Quad surgery. It really did help me out a lot. I was scared to death having the surgery. I am older though and had movement...as it was shrinking I weighed out my options and I didn't want to be a person who had so much more to do in life with no movement so I opted for the surgery. My injury isn't as bad as most others so it was worth it for me to get it done. I was told my whole life there wasn't anything I could do and at one point I too was told that there would be a 50/50 chance I might not ever be able to move my arm again. So when I was younger I decided to just deal with it. If you do decide on surgery I recommend that you really discuss it with your doctor and also try to find others who had the same surgeon and discuss the pros and cons. To me my surgery was worht every penny!! But...every individual case is different. Best of luck in your choice and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Rachel