husband and spotlight on video

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

husband and spotlight on video

Post by hope16_05 »

I was watching the long version of the spotlight on video yesterday morning while waiting for my husband to get home from work and he walked in sat down next to me and watched the last 12 minutes or so and I think for the first time ever, he understands my feelings about the birth of our baby. I have been anal for several years that I do not under any circumstance want an epidural when and if we were to have a family together. He would always tell me "we'll see when your in labor what you say then" Mind you he has two children from a previous marriage and has been through the birth process before. I also keep telling him I dont want to be stuck in a bed on my back to have a baby.

Well, now we are expecting in May and this video could not have had better timing. It has allowed my husband to truly understand some of the pain both a parent and an injured person goes through. He is very open to helping me have as natural a birth as possible so our son has the best possibility of not getting injured ad he is likely to be a very large shouldered big baby just looking at the two of us and our birth histories.

I am very thankful for this video! I now wonder if my OB would be at all open to watching this...We will begin discussing the birth plan at my next appointment in a week and a half. I am so glad my husband is on the same page as me now. This makes my wishes much more likely to be a reality so we bring home a safe healthy uninjured baby boy in May.
Thanks so much to anyone who donated $$$ to make the spotlight on a possibility! Thanks also Lisa M for doing all the behind the scenes work to make this a reality!
Hugs,
Amy 23 years old ROBPI from MN and mommy to be.
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: husband and spotlight on video

Post by Kath »

Amy
You know so much more than I did when I had my children and will be in charge of your birth.
I believe you need to speak with your doctor now as to what his protocol is should Shoulder Dystocia occur.
If he cannot give your several steps he can take off the top of his head... run to another doctor.
You also need to find out if he has a sub who is on the same page if he is not on call the night you deliver.

When my daughter was pregnant, I was on the BOD of UBPN and knew so much more than I did when I was pregnant.
I think I drove her crazy until she spoke to her OB about her birth plan. My good friend is a Bradley Birthing Coach and we had major arguments about birth and this injury. BUT she was big on no medication, no back birth and diet. She was my daughter did not have a choice because my friend hounded her into going in to her classes because Diane once did home care for one of her kids as a favor... LOL... My daughter waked around with a water bottle and ate eggs daily as part of the plan... I don't know what you plan to use but look into this type of birth coaching. In the end my friend who has so much medical training learned a great deal about our birth injury. She knew what she read about 90% resoling on it's own and did not know that children did not gain 100% back...

Please keep us posted and I'm so glad that this is video is finished and grateful for everyone's hard work.

I just watched the video alone, for the first time, yesterday and began to cry when Traci spoke and then again as I watched the baby delivered. I realized that was me and you and all our bpi friends... It's amazing how we worked so much on UBPN and this material became a daily part of our lives yet we were calm and matter of fact about it. Yet the impact the video made on me was so emotional.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Kath,
it is very emotional! I thought I knew so much...My appointment is Monday...I have faith in this doctor as he is the same one that safely delivered my sister and my brother many years ago. I was injured as the result of the on call doctor. So I will be sure to double check that person!
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I cried too when viewing the video,girls. Amy, is it possible that your Dr could/be open to watching these videos? I think if I was pregnant I would ask a DR to watch as I explain "MY Injuries" to him/her. I want my Drs to know me as much as possible.
HUGS all around readers of this topic,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72