Feeling Strong

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
stcrx

Feeling Strong

Post by stcrx »

Just wanted to say, I did therapy from when I was born until I was about 12 or 13... I hated it and it never seemed to do any good. I'm 21 now and have been searching around for something for me to do to improve my arm because I have been favoring it for so long that my non-affected arm was starting to be sore every night.

About a month ago, I started a program with a personal trainer and I have never felt stronger. He encourages me, understands when I am unable to do something and gives me something similar to work on so that i can work up to being able to do that stuff. I already feel like I have more motion in my arm, and as long as I am careful to use both and tell him how I am feeling, my non-affected arm always feels fine - the only thing sore are my muscles, which I ice and eventually they feel better and I feel even stronger.

Just thought I would share this with you all. I don't think the therapists were pushing me hard enough. They tried to gain more motion but not really strength... and strength training results in both.

Thoughts?
~'Cuz life's like a jump rope~
Please view http://www.rarereflections.weebly.com to see my photography. Photography and writing are kind of my life.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Feeling Strong

Post by jmar »

you have a great trainer you better keep him/her for as long as possible. glad to hear you are doing well! i use water therapy. i dont have a pool so i use the water in the bathtub or if i am at a place where there is no tub, i use the kitchen sink with a weight in my hand.
marylandmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left OBPI. Surgical intervention age 6 years. Good cosmetic effect. Still with significant functional impairment.

Post by marylandmom »

Bravo to you for trying something new!
I was not kept in therapy much after my surgery at age 6.
Did some on my own, on and off, through young adulthood.
Found a good PT who taught me first,some postural awareness pointers (keep that shoulder out of your ear!).
About 6 years ago, I discovered yoga and the strength and flexibility it has given me in both arms, shoulder and neck and spine is fantastic!
I do some modifying with a block to help "lengthen"my shorter L arm.
Strongy recommend this to all who are interested in trying.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I think all of these things are great! I was always in therapy but it was a family project.
Keep up the good work!
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I say...anything that works....
Carolyn J :mrgreen:
LOBPI/72
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

what is the block thing to lengthen???