Can you Scuba Dive with ERBS?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Master DIVER TOM

Can you Scuba Dive with ERBS?

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

My Name is Master Diver Tom. I have been Scuba Diving Since 1981, I have logged well over 563 dives over that time and many Islands. I thought I would sign in here to see if I could help with the scuba diving question? If anyone is interested please reply. I have Erbs from birth a broken elbow and scapula on the left to from birth. So maybe I could help some way here?

Padi Master Diver Tom
smith727

Re: Can you Scuba Dive with ERBS?

Post by smith727 »

I'm a certified PADI basic open water diver. Or at least I was until I lost interest. Does that ever expire? Anyway, it was never really even a challenge unless I lost my rebreather on the right side.
Master DIVER TOM

Hi thanks for your question, All dive certificates are good for life. If you have not dove in a year or so. You just have to do a refesher dive, thats all. If you have any other question on diving with erbs? Please just ask, This is something that can be done with erbs. I am here on this sight to help other with erbs, to try scuba diving. I hope you did not just give up diving because of your limiations?

Tom
eolson

Post by eolson »

Interesting topic. I was certified in high school. The last dive I made was a beach entry reef dive and I had real difficulty getting out again in the surf. Three points of support not being a stable structure and all. Since then I have enjoyed snorkeling.

However, my wife is doing her PADI certification so I might have another go. I've been invited on lake-bottom fossil hunting dives (we don't have reefs in Wisconsin.)
Master DIVER TOM

Shore diving is always has there challenges. In Bonaire I saw a person taken out of a wheel chair and was help to do a shore dive. I was on that shore dive with other divers with him. After seeing this and diving with him is just one of the reason I want to encourage people with Erbs to try diving. You know your self , underwater you dont need your arms to swim and speed means nothing in scuba diving. What it takes is a person who likes the water. I hope I can help here and get a lot of question?

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

You know I am going to do a more complete answer. If you do shore diving in the ocean.Try to do the dive at low tide,less wave surge.The diver in the wheel chair was fire man cared into the water and pull along on the dive. he was pulled along the dive by a dive master and his dive buddy. At the end of the dive he was fireman cared out of surf and put back in his wheel chair. I remember that person smile by doing the dive. I will tell you all how real diving it is about diving with limitations. Please just put in handicap diver in a reach on your computer, you will see how scuba diving is for anyone with limitation.

Tom
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I am a certified diver. I always had trouble breathing when I got about 10 to 20 feet down . It felt like a ton of bricks sitting on my chest. I stopped about 20 years ago.
Master DIVER TOM

Hi , well diving does have its challenges sometimes. Please tell me was the dives you were on when you felt this way in cold water? Physical lamination can be overcome. Fact there is other medical condition that are internal that can stop a person from diving. If other medical problems which you take prescription for absolutely check with a doctor before you presue learning to dive. Diving can be freedom with limitation, but a person should not dive if they dont fell good on any dive. If after you dive and you didn't enjoy it talk to the Dive Master who led the dive. Sometimes a diver can experience VIRAGO and anxiety. This can be a felling like a ton of bricks on your chest. I learn this in my Rescue diver corse. I really need more information on the dives you were on that made you fell this way.

Tom
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

It was warm water off the coast of Florida that i dove in.
I found out a few years later that I have asthma,so I assumed that may have been the cause.
Master DIVER TOM

This is a very good question,Thanks. First thing first, You are a PADI right? Do you want to do more diving? I would contact your Doctor if breathing better or enough in for diving. You do breath a little better oxygen air from a tank. If your doctor ok. Then go to a dive shop near you and if they ok it . You ask for a referral dive in a pool ,Hopefully and then you will see how you beneath ?
Hopeful this helps, If you can ? Please let me know.

Tom