weight bearing exercises

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BrookesMom

weight bearing exercises

Post by BrookesMom »

My therapist has told me to do weight bearing at home but I have such a HARD time getting Brooke to do the exercises. She is 2. Does anyone have good exercises they can suggest?

Thanks,

Cheryl
admin
Site Admin

Re: weight bearing exercises

Post by admin »

We purchased a nice crawling tunnel and put it in our living room. We used it all the time and still do. We play chase, put toys in it, etc., and make it lots of fun. Playing animals that crawl is another idea and you don't need a tunnel. Also, while watching videos you can extend arm downward with hand flat on floor, while supporting shoulder and supporting right below elbow so that arm doesn't bend (to ensure weight is being felt throughout arm) and just lean child over a little to side and hold it for a minute or however long they will tolerate it and then repeat as watching video. Big air-filled balls (like therapy balls, or big exercise balls) can be used to sneak it in as well. Get the child on their belly and get them to bear weight while propping themselves up, reaching with other arm while bearing weight on one still on ball, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way....something will work. Good luck!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheryl,

Forgot to add, playing while on your belly on the floor is a good way to sneak in a little weight bearing. While playing with toys or reading books have your child (along with yourself) lay on her belly with elbows propped up.
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Does Brooke like to go swimming? If she does, try to put her on a large kick-board in hands and knees. You can also move the board a little so it causes small ripples in the water to help change her weight bearing from one arm to the next so her one arm doesn't get so tired as fast. This is one of the exercises we do in aquatic therapy. Keep in mind, we have 2 adults doing this so my daughter, Amber doesn't fall off the large board! What about climbing up and down stairs using her hands, too. At 2, she might be past that stage though. What about going to a local park with lots of climbing activities so she is leaning on her arm to go up subtle inclines and tunnels? Try laying on the floor with her on your belly so she'll immitate you and try reading a book together in this fashion. She won't even know she's leaning on the arm. My daughter, Amber is 18 months old and loves all of these activities. Good luck!
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old