obpi and Balance?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
rachelcasa

obpi and Balance?

Post by rachelcasa »

I don't know if I have asked this before, but do any of you have problems with balance?? I notice sometimes (and its not even after a glass of wine *L*)
that I'll just all of a sudden kind of loose my balance for a second. I've had tons of people just give me really strange looks and say, are you drunk?
I was just curious about it. Maybe I'm out of whack somehow.
njbirk

Re: obpi and Balance?

Post by njbirk »

Absolutely, Rachel, I've always had problems with balance. And I'm always walking into walls on my bpi side too. It is definitely connected to the injury.

Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ny son 11 months has always had a problem with balance. The therapist just tested him last week to evaluate him and to see how he catches himself. It was hard to watch her knock him over just to see how and if he can catch certain ways. He did not like this. He has a balancing prob when he stands, he is on tippie toes on his right and injured side. He did not do well.
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Really? Do they know what causes it? I mean, is there a connection because of the word palsy like in cerebral palsy? Am I spelling it right?
I really want to learn more about it. If you have any more information on it can you let me know. That would be great.
By the way how are you feeling? I hope your doing well.
Thanks Nancy
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Rachel,

I think it is complex but the following attribute to the balance issues we face:

* assymetry of our arms and shoulders throwing us off balance

* lack of sensitivity to body boundaries on the bpi side -- this is also a sensory integration issue

* vision problems (I have amblyopia and Horner's and when tested, was found to have no depth perception)

* some of us also have gait problems that relate to the original injury

There may be more but these are the things that contribute to my balance difficulties.

AND thanks for asking about my health and my recent non bpi medical emergency, I'm doing better day by day. I just got my medical records and they scared me even more. I am really glad I got to the hospital when I did.

Oh and you will probably be experiencing more balance issues right now because you have had significant change from your bpi surgery. I had to readjust to my body all over again. Have you noticed this?

Nancy
eevislucas

Post by eevislucas »

really thankyou i thought i was going crazy since reading these boards i dont feel stupid my balance has always been off
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

Absolutely, My son with bpi has balance trouble, he doesn't even attempt skateboarding anymore as he always gets hurt, bumping into things, tripping on his own feet , trips on stairs, can seem "clumbsy".
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

My son Matthew has/had balance issues. We started taking him to a chiropractor and it has helped tremendously.

Cindy
claudia

Post by claudia »

Juliana had terrible balance issues. She would just fall...it was so sad. She still is not the most balanced kid but she is so much better. I noticed the biggest difference when we started horsebackriding therapy. She is without a saddle and really has to adjust her body. I think this is a great therapy and you should look around for it.

Also, in addition to Nancy's list, I also believe that there is damage to the vestibular system when the injury occurs.

Juliana also used to stand only on her unaffected foot, and would be on the toe of her affected foot. With, of course the arm bent and the hand curled under...a true cp stance...it made me nuts. She only does it now when she is nervous or afraid.

Nancy, I am glad you are feeling better. And I hope your heat is fixed too. This weather is too cold.

claudia