been off the boards for a while

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

been off the boards for a while

Post by admin »

Well my little on will be three soon. I have been off the boards for a while. It has been a tuff summer emotionally. My daughter is complainning of pain when we do pasive ROM and she is not the type to whine. Even passively, her arm cannot straighten out. Kineseo tape is causing very nasty rashes, she is also starting to breakout from ESTIM electrodes. I have been doing my best but everytime we see the therapist it is you need to do more of this and this and this. It seems like all we are doing is therapy and she is getting worse instead of better. Between work, therapy, keeping the house up, and taking care of my elderly mother I feel like I am going to pop. We moved a while back and with the schedule we are running on I haven't had any time to make new friends and have lost touch with a lot of old ones. Sorry, I just really needed to vent a little. I feel so alone right now. We have been trying to have another child for about a year and sometimes I feel like maybe we shouldn't because of the time and attention our daughter requires with this injury. Maybe God's trying to tell me something. I just feel like such a failure as a mother and wife right now. Any words of wisdome out there?
admin
Site Admin

Re: been off the boards for a while

Post by admin »

Hi talk about stress! First off you are a great Mom!You have to remember that you are doing the best you can! Iam 51 with Erbs my theopy stop at 12 and there never really was to much to do about ERBS Today there is the problem is what will work or not you have to examine is how much time goes by before you stop if it really helping fine if it doesnt help so many choice I have alot of respect for the parents out there for there effort and pain you go threw with the Erbs issue.Tom
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Tom said it well and from the heart and I couldn't agree with him more.

It is very hard being the generation in the middle of dealing both with aged parents and a child with special needs. Being sandwiched between these two groups who both need all of your love and your time must be very stressful. Know that your are loved and you are needed. Take (and I mean that because you must plan for it) time for yourself now and then, it is important for you to have a break from everything once in a while.

Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm so sorry that you are going through such a hard time right now. You have good reason to feel sad and stressed because of all that is going on, but in no way are you a failure. You are a great mom for making sure your daughter has the best care possible and I'm sure your mother is so glad to have a daughter who cares enough to take care of her. It sounds to me like you need to get away and do something for yourself. My husband is great at letting me "get out" for a few hours to have my hair or nails done and to do some shopping so I can feel better about myself and to re-energize myself. Does your husband have a flexible schedule to where he can allow you some time away? Hang in there. Hopefully things will get better soon. If we didn't have bad days, the good days wouldn't look and feel as good.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I am so glad you posted. You need support and care I hope you can get away for an hour or two on your own.

You are a great mother and daughter. It is very hard to be both mother & daughter so many difficult choices.

When I had my first baby my Mom was very sick and needed help and I was the one to do it. I was her disabled child and the one who needed her the most for years. She would encourage me to take care of the baby but wanted me to be with her also as I was her baby... and she was elderly and sickly. It was a very difficult time for me and some days I just did not know what to do...

Please when you are feeling down and things get tough know we are here for you.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

I am so glad you posted. You need support and care I hope you can get away for an hour or two on your own.

You are a great mother and daughter. It is very hard to be both mother & daughter so many difficult choices.

When I had my first baby my Mom was very sick and needed help and I was the one to do it. I was her disabled child and the one who needed her the most for years. She would encourage me to take care of the baby but wanted me to be with her also as I was her baby... and she was elderly and sickly. It was a very difficult time for me and some days I just did not know what to do...

Please when you are feeling down and things get tough know we are here for you.

Kath