My mom thinks she was wrong...

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Steve L.

My mom thinks she was wrong...

Post by Steve L. »

after 37 yr.s she thinks she was wrong. She has always said that I was a large baby and I was injured at birth. That's all I've ever known...until 2 days ago. We were cleaning my parents house, getting it ready to be sold, when lifting a large stone that has been setting on the hearth since before I ever came along became the topic of conversation. So everyone in my family turns to me, as if daring me to try, when my big mouth brother spoke up and said "Oh he'll do it, him and that stupid arm of his don't know when it's better NOT to try." My brother has never been one for tact. Of course I had to quote Yoda, "There is no 'try', there is either 'do' or 'do not'"...then I lifted the damn thing.
My mom jumped in at that time and said that if he had never pushed me off of our front poarch, I wouldn't my so called 'stupid arm'. Needless to say this stuck me cold, after 37 yr.s she lets something slip. Now I no it really doesn't matter how it happened, but my brother was always obusive toward me and that has affected me, but I deal with it. But to think that she had an idea that that is what caused it and told me nothing...well, how would you fill?
She continued to tell me how she took me to Dr. after Dr. weeks after that and they all said that I had just 'bruised' my shoulder and it would get better, and to her horror it never did.
I told her I felt like I was meant to be this way, that's why God made me so stubbern, I can survive anything, learn and grow, be a better person...but my brother is still just an a**hole. That made her laugh.
Francine_Litz

Re: My mom thinks she was wrong...

Post by Francine_Litz »

Steve - I can't even imagine what it must feel like to finally find this out. I hope that you keep on working on what you are feeling about this and talk more with your mom and brother about this. You have every right to feel all sorts of things having this new information. And just to think that they've been carrying around the lie all this time. In a way they probably feel great relief that it's out in the open now. Would you consider a therapy session with the three of you?

I've never met you, but my heart goes out to you and wish I could give you a big hug,
francine

Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

That's the best hug of all, THANK YOU.
Honestly though, my relationship with my brother will, more than likely, never improve. My relationship with my Mother, on the other hand, has never been better. She has always been my biggest fan and my biggest critic. She was my physical therapist, modivational instructor....just and all around tough chick. She's pretty cool. You guys are gettin' up there with her.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I dont see how your mom would have even known about Obstetrical BPI if your injust had been caused from your brother, later in life, perhaps she was just throwing that out there to...hush him up, I mean I believe you that he injured you and bruised your shoulder but...there was likely an injury before that...if there had not of been where would your mom have gotten the large baby story...anyways, Im glad you get along good with your mom, thats is a VERY good thing in my book :)
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

wow what a shocker! I hope you and your brother will be able to mend but it sounds like he needs counseling. Maybe he has carried an aweful guilt his whole life about you and that is why he has a bad personality, some people carry guilt in a weird way....it may be easier for him to lash out at you than to admit he made a very bad mistake! Did your mom say how old the 2 of you were when it happened? It is true you are a better person because of the life's experience you go through and it is probably the same for him too in the opposite. Best of wishes to you!
T.