Frustrated!!!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kathyb

Frustrated!!!!!

Post by Kathyb »

My son conor has a week to go in his splint and tommorow is field day at his school and the school will not let him participate. He is so angry and has been crying and yelling that i can't do anything and i understand that the school is concerned but my heart breaks for my boy and i am so angry that he can't just enjoy his time in first grade he has had to deal with this splint for 8 weeks and he is frustrated and so am i!!!! just had to vent thanks again kathy
admin
Site Admin

Re: Frustrated!!!!!

Post by admin »

Kathy, I know how you both feel. I hate it that the schools are so worried about be liable that they won't let them participate. Is there anyway you can let him stay home tomorrow and the two of you do something special together...movie, whatever? Can the school let him be a volunteer of some kind to let him help out with field day? That way he'd be out there participating. Just trying to make suggestions.
Kathyb

Post by Kathyb »

Thanks, yes i am going to keep him home i couldn't imagine him sitting there and watching all the other kids. I think my heart would break. thanks for the suggestions kathy
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Kathy - I think you should keep him home and do something special with him so his mind's not on it ...[but please pardon my attitude for all that I'm about to say]... because the damn school was stupid enough to not think about your son to make sure that he should be involved. This is just not right and if I were you I'd keep him home and then run down there the next day and give them holy hell! This is just dispicable, discriminatory and just not right! Do they disclude other kids with issues ? Aren't there things he CAN do with his splint on? and if not - couldn't his teacher figure something out and talk to the principle about adding a few things that he CAN get involved in? or would that have taken a moment's thought or a bit of effort. I'm so angry for you! Liabilitiy shmiability....they need to know how they have hurt your son and how they have hurt you.

Maia went to a birthday party today -it was an outdoor party and they had the school gym teacher run it "Coach Tracey". Coach Tracey adapted each and every game they were playing so that not only could Maia play it - but play it successfully. A lot of the changes came at a moment's thought. One moment of thought. Shame on your school! You go tell that teacher and that principal - shame on you!

aaarrgggh!!!!
-francine
Kathyb

Post by Kathyb »

Thanks everyone for your reply's i thought that maybe i was over reacting but i now feel that they should have made him feel a part of the day. He is on little league and the manager has made conor the third base coach and he feels so special and thats all i wanted for him for tommorow. the gym teacher was ok with it but the school nurse said no way!!! not without a doctors note and ofcourse tch said no as i knew they would. So we are going to have a special day we rented two movies and he love to plant so we will plant tommorow together. thanks again kathy
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Kathy - so glad you and your sweety will have a special day. Does ice cream fit into the picture anywhere??? hahahaha
-francine
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Kathy I can't believe all this over field day. Michaela was in her splint after mod quad last year and the school said nothing it was never brought up. The teachers just used their common sense and made MIchaela feel special by letting her be the "helper" for the coaches. This was right up her alley because she loves to help and made her special cause no one else got to do it. She didn't think of it as work, they told her she was the special helper.
Kathyb

Post by Kathyb »

Hi all just thought i would let you all know that God does intervene(sp) when you need him field day was cancelled and conors teacher called and said that the kids miss him and want him in class he had the biggest smile on his face. He felt so important that the class missed himm thank you all kathy
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

Wow Kathy! I bet Conor feels special now! So glad to hear your good news!