What do you guys think about our kids and soccer?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
christy

What do you guys think about our kids and soccer?

Post by christy »

I have signed Katie up for the Little Kickers soccer at the Y and was wondering if any of the other kids played and if there was a problem--falling on their arms, etc...? What about wearing their wrist braces? Of course I have heard at the three year old level they mostly just wonder around and pluck grass or run off for a popsicle on a whim! She will have plenty of support--our whole immediate family have plans to show up for first "practice".
Francine_Litz

Re: What do you guys think about our kids and soccer?

Post by Francine_Litz »

Christy- she's going to love it.... what can be so bad about a bunch of 3 year olds trying to kick a ball around the field and getting popsicles when they are done! Sounds like so much fun. My only concern is - are there surgery plans? If so - how does the timing work?

Share pictures with us from that first day ok?
-francine
Karrie -- Md.

Post by Karrie -- Md. »

I-think-it-is-great...We-have-had-Kyle-in-a-little-kicks-soccer-program-the-last-year-and-a-half-and-he-absolutely-loves-it.-Yes-they-may-accidently-fall-or-get-tripped-up-but-that-could-happen-playing-in-your-backyard.-It-is-great-for-their-motor-skills-not-to-mention-just-a-fun-time-with-new-friends.-This-spring-we-signed-him-up-for-T-ball-and-he-is-doing-very-well-with-that-also....although-he-keeps-asking-when-he-can
play-soccer-again.-I-am-just-now-starting-to-realize-that-I-cannot-shelter-him-his-whole-life.....it-only-took-me-5.1/2-years-to-come-to-that-realization.-We
have-to-let-them-be-normal-kids-just-like-if-they-weren't-injured.-As-hard-as-that-may-be.-Kyle-has-had-his-share-of-scrapes-and-bruises-and-even-dislocated-his-radial-head-on-his-bpi-arm-wrestling-around-with-some-kids.-Very-scary-but-if-he-didn't-have-a-bpi-could-that-have-all-happened-anyway.-Probably.-I-have-three-other-children-all-involved-in-various-sports-We-have-had-our-fair-share-of-broken-arms,-black-eyes-knocked-out-teeth-as-well-as-the-bumps-and-bruises.-It-is-all-part-of-being-a-kid.-Get-them-involved-in-as-much-as-they-can-handle-and-stand-back-and-enjoy-watching-them-play.-Caution-them-when-needed-but-don't-smother-them.The-memories-you-will-have-watching-your-child-participate-in-a-team-sport-will-be-priceless.
Karrie
mother-to-Kyle-5yrs.-old-LBPI
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

I had always heard that scooer is good for balance.
I finally got Emma (age 7) and her brother Joel (9 yrs in a couple of weeks!) to sign up for soccer. It will be their first experience with soccer and Emma's first experience with a team sport, but she's really looking forward to it.

Lyn, thanks for the tip about practicing with the wall!
I'll have them do it.

They are also going to attend a soccer camp (only during the day for a week in July) and have practice matches through the summer twice a week. It will be busy, but good for them to gain some skills, I hope!

Joel and Emma are in different age groups, so when the matches start for real (and practices) they will be at two different times, places, etc. Should be really interresting.

Have fun, all!

Peggy
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

Hello,
Jameson did soccer for awhile but again as he got older it was too competitive for him and he quit. He only had 2 problems with soccer and that was 1. running jarred his shoulder a lot...We had to wrap it.
2. once when he had to throw the ball in from the outside line a ref hassled him because he was supposed to throw the ball in with both hands over the head(it's the rules)....His dad and I just about tore that guy up because he treated our son so badly...he was very rude about it.
Jameson is not a really competitive person and plays for fun and when it becomes not fun anymore he doesn't play.
I think it will be great for all kids to play soccer!!!
T.
christy

Post by christy »

Thanks everyone. She was a little shy at first but joined right in and while not as aggressive (Lord knows where that came from, normally she is so in your face kind of girl) as the other kids she pretty much did as the other 3 year old. She didn't have the balance and coordination as the others but I could see where playing soccer will definetly help her with those issues! Gotta find smaller shin pads however--we ended up taking them off for the first practice because they covered her knees! She enjoyed it and didn't want to leave. Until the coach started counting 1-2-3 in the group huddle and she (and several others) started crying, heartbroken. They thought they were in trouble! I will try to get a picture posted--they were all so cute. Some plucked grass, rolled the ball down to the playground (Katie) and climbed the fence to go over to the pool area. I have to say though--some of those parents were really serious about this stuff and I felt really sorry for their kids. We just want her to have fun, don't give a hoot if she is any good at it or not.
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Lyn,
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your husband last year! I didn't know. Nice that the boys helped you clean and sort out everything. Good to have them both home, too, I'll bet.
I sent you an email (I hope) sometimes my Internet email doesn't work properly. If you dont' get it, email me so I can send it from my Pop3.

Peggy