sensory stimulation by use of vibrator

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Jennifer Campbell

sensory stimulation by use of vibrator

Post by Jennifer Campbell »

My daughter is 7months old; and had primary at TCH about 1mo and 1/2 ago. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a vibrator for stimulation? and had it helped? Her pt/ot at TCH suggested it; but was wondering the results of others. Thanks.
JaimeC

Re: sensory stimulation by use of vibrator

Post by JaimeC »

Oh yes, we used this a lot in OT and at home when my son was an infant. Also use things like wash cloths, a soft hairbrush (a baby hairbrush), soft materials - anything that has "texture". Perhaps also cool and warm things too. Anything to stimulate the senses.....
Faithsmommy

Post by Faithsmommy »

Hi there. Faith did not have surgery, but her OT and PT have been using vibrating objects for 2 months and she gravitates towards things that "buzz" in her hand now - that's when she has the firmest grip. Michelle
francine

Post by francine »

Jenniffer - I'd just be careful about not using it up in the incision area or near the area where the nerves are first starting to grow in - just makes logical sense that you don't want to shake things up post op. If I were you - I'd use other things for now (brushes/fabrics/combs, etc.) and save the vibrator for just a bit later.
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Our therapist started this with Michaela when she was about 15 months old, about 4 months post op. She only put it on her hand, not any where near incisions. She used a ladybug massager. Michaela lved to play with it. She said the main reason was for stimulation whether she could actually feel it or not. It was also a visual stimulation connecting her to the idea that the hand was there. With severe injuries such as Michaela had it is important to make them very aware that the injured limb is there to insure proper right and left brain development.Therefore it is important to have something there to have them gravitate toward it with their focus. We did the brushes, rough cloths, tubs of beans, and tubs of rice, and I would decorate her spluints with bright fabrics with bugs and frogs and things so she would want to look at her hand and arm.

FYI, the tubs of rice and beans work great as long as you are totally supervising your child.Place small toys, pacifiers, anything they like into the rice or beans and put their arm in it if you have to help them it is ok. The different textures (rice vs, beans) are important and the toys provide incentive.