Statistics

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Statistics

Post by admin »

Are there statistics showing how many children with Brachial Plexus injuries had shoulder dystocia's as well. Is it greater than half? Or should I say, what percentage of those deliveries with shoulder dystocia's resulted in a BP injury? Thank you.
claudia

Re: Statistics

Post by claudia »

First off, why do I get the feeling that you are the same person looking for the article written by the doctor who says that SD and uterine contractions cause bpi?

Secondly, execept for the tiny portion of children whose mothers became ill during pregnancy, ALL BIRTH RELATED BPI ARE DUE TO SHOULDER DYSTOCIA. Not all brachial plexus injuries are, as traumatic injuries to the brachial plexus occur in a multitude of ways.

Now, if you are fishing for the defense, do all of the parents on this board a favor, and don't post here. We come here to discuss our children with other people who are sympathetic to our situation. We don't all agree, but we all understand each other. I think I can speak for the parents on this board when I ask you to show respect for us and our children, by not lurking here. If I am mistaken, and you are a parent, then post as such, and we will support you as we support each other.

respectfully,
claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Claudia,
Forgive me for not mentioning that I am a parent of an injured child, not a lurker. Truthfully, I was under the impression that this injury occurs sometimes as a result of a normal delivery, sometimes with breech births, and rarely with c-sections. I was just trying to find out the stats. I am not posting my name because my trial starts very soon.
phaliscak

Post by phaliscak »

I always had the understanding that shoulder dystocia and BPI was one in the same. The only differences were the degree of injury. I think Claudia said it best.

Patty
francine

Post by francine »

hi Patty -

Shoulder Dystocia means difficulty in delivering the shoulder. There are varying degrees of shoulder dystocia - some very severe (like with our children). If shoulder dystocia is present (baby's shoulder is stuck - usually underneath the pelvic bone) and IF the doctor/midwife applies EXCESSIVE TRACTION then the result of the force applied while the shoulders are wedged is what causes the bpi.

hope that explains it ok,
btw - I have an article written by James O' Leary MD on causation on my site http://www.injurednewborn.com/resources.html - top right side if I remember correctly.

francine
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Me again...the parent who has to post anonymously. Since I posted this question earlier I read something on the internet saying that 5-25% of shoulder dystocia's result in a BPI. Just thought I would share this information. As Francine said, shoulder dystocia is the shoulder getting stuck. If the proper maneuvers are used and this impacted shoulder is released then the child is fine. If the doctor uses excessive force then the injury occurs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

shoulder dystocia and bpi are NOT one and the same thing-if the delivering doc is doing his/her job right, a shoulder dystocia does not have to end in a bpi, and many don't.
stateilx3

Post by stateilx3 »

Shoulder Dystocia equal BPI in most cases. In my case, I have a daughter that had a shoulder dystocia birth and ended up with a broken clavicle. My son on the other hand had a shoulder dystocia and ended up injured severly with a BPI.....if I had a choice, broken clavicle is by far the easier one to handle !!!
Elisa M.

Post by Elisa M. »

I can't remember exact numbers but there are some numbers out there. Email me personally and I can give you the name of a very informative book.

Not all shoulder dystocias result in BPI's, actually most do not. Unfortunately, the doctors/midwives that cause these lifelong injuries to our children are not skilled nor trained on how to properly handle a shoulder dystocia, therefore they panic and do the one thing they should NEVER do, twist and pull and apply excessive traction.

Because of liability the whole BPI thing has sadly become an arena full of lies and deceit. Most of us have learned that doctors will do whatever it takes to cover their own behinds, at ANY price, even when a poor innocent child is the one who truly pays the price.

It seems to me that the number of shoulder dystocias are far from being accurately documented and worse yet, many doctors outright lie and say sd never even happened. I have 3 friends who have no legal case because without recognition of sd it is almost impossible to have a case. How convenient! Perhaps in the future shoulder dystocia will mysteriously vanish from all delivery notes.

May I ask what peaks your interest in such information and articles? I am certain you will not find the truth in most of them, if indeed that is what you are interested in.
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Post by marymom »

Elisa is correct, in my opinion, shoulder dystocias do not normally result in BPIs...and often are unreported...and subjective to the attendants definition/opinion.
...and I would say all of obstetrical BPIs are a result of shoulder dystocia,
Most mismanagement of...shoulder dystocia but the management aspect would also be subjective.