Cosmetic treatment

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
adisac
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 2/13/00 left

Cosmetic treatment

Post by adisac »

Does anyone know of any cosmetic treatments or injections that can make the affected arm look more like the uninjured arm? For example, botox injections are used to make lips look fuller. Can any injections be used to make the affected arm look bigger?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Cosmetic treatment

Post by Carolyn J »

Very interesting question!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by ASC »

The best way to make our BPI arm(s) bigger is exercise...and a lot of it. Light weights, Therabands, and good old determination to utilize your arm in everyday tasks. There is no quick fix...only by using one's arm will help tone and maybe, increase muscle mass. To stimulate the nerves in the shoulder are key to better use of the affected limb. However, most times, the result is a stretching of the muscles and some pain relief.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

good post,ASC.
Did you get my private nessage on your "control page" ?
Carolyh J
LOBPI/75
claudia

Post by claudia »

Botox IS used in bpi treatment, but not to make the arm look more "normal". It is used to help with contractions of muscle.

The only way to have a bpi arm look more "normal" is to use it.... and I agree with the previous post... therabands, light weights...swimming...

And then there is the acceptance--it is a brachial plexus injury and with it comes a different looking arm.

It is, what it is...

claudia