Hand surgeries

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
levifitz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi, my name is John and I received a brachial plexus injury trying to take out a tree on my Grizzly June 9th 2012. Unfortunately, the tree won and killed my atv. I will be having a ct mylogram done next week to determine extent of damage. It's been a rough 3 months adjusting without the use of my right arm. your lifestyle changes so abrubtly and I find it very difficult to function. I'm 47 years old and welcome any insight and guidance about this injury. I've been a carpenter for many years and never really appreciated the use of two arms until now. We take so much for granted until something traumatic occurs. If anyone knows of any good doctors specializing in Brachial Plexus injuries, feel free to post them for me. I live in northern New York and have yet to find any up here.

Hand surgeries

Post by levifitz »

Hello, could any one give me some insight on the types of surgeries they have had performed for the hand and have gotten results from? I'm very determined to get anything out of it. Please let me know of any great neurosurgeons that will perform surgeries pertaining to hand movement and what hospital you've gone to.I've got all nerves avulsed except T5 to the right arm. I have no movement and no feeling from the shoulder down. First surgery was 12/27/12 and performed accessory to supra scapular transfer. Second surgery 3/14/13 and performed an F/P right intercostal to musculocutaneous nerve transfer. No results from either surgery as it has only been a short time. T5 shows no new recovering nerve action. Thank-you very much to those who provide me with information. It's greatly appreciated.
katiexdobratz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Baby with Brachial Plexus Injury

Re: Hand surgeries

Post by katiexdobratz »

Try Dr Kozin. He's located in PA. Ive heard nothing but wonderful things about him. Hes one of the best in the world
prestonsmama

Post by prestonsmama »

First off, I want to say that I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I can't imagine what you're going through. This site is such a blessing, so I hope you are able to find some answers and support. We have been taking our son to the Mayo in Rochester, MN. If you are able to travel there I highly recommend Dr.Shin! He is terrific, knowlegable and there is a whole team of doctors and therapists that work together. We couldn't be happier with the treatment there.

Take care!
Carly
claudia

Post by claudia »

John:
I'm sorry to hear about your injury.
Have you gone on the TBPI board?? They are a great bunch of people and know all the docs who do TBPI surgery. They are not always the same as the ones who do the OBPI (babies). Many of the docs you hear about on this forum are pediatric docs...

Good luck and don't give up!
claudia