Preteens and Teens

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
AlannahD
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 7-year-old granddaughter, LOBPI

Preteens and Teens

Post by AlannahD »

Those with preteens or teens - how is function affected as these kids enter prepuberty and puberty - is loss of function a given - does stretching and strengthening help avoid any loss?
Jallie

Re: Preteens and Teens

Post by Jallie »

As my daughter started hitting her growth spurt, I did notice her arm and shoulder tightening. I was concerned about her shoulder stability and formation. I took her for two evaluations, with two different Doctors. They both said that as growth spurts happens, so does a natural tighting of the muscles. We are starting to see signs of scoliosis, as a result of the muscle imbalance. She has stared back into a heavy physical thereapy program and we are seeing good results. She is very active in sports and I thought that was enough for now, as far as exercises goes. But what she was really needing, was targeted areas of thereapy. I hope this helps.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Maia shot up really fast and it basically just killed her arm and she's not done growing so i can't wait to see what we have when she's done growing. Should be interesting for lack of a more appropriate word. It was a big surprise --- her growth was slow, slow, slow, slow and then BOOM!!! :twisted: crazy stuff! never would have imagined! :ugeek:
patty hannahs mom

Post by patty hannahs mom »

Hannah is going on 14. She says kids notice her left shoulder slopes and her elbow is a little bit bent but these things have not stopped her from competing in competive cheer for her middle school and next year high school. Her coach modifies some of the arm movements for her so not to notice her left arm is not really straight. And it is amazing how she can tumble roundoffs and back hand springs and almost has perfected the back tuck. She amazes me every time I watch her. I never would have thought she could do these things when she was first born.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I am looking forward to meeting you and Hannah at Camp in July. She sounds soo awesome.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Post by marymom »

Max is 13- he is small anyways - I know his BPI affects his running speed, and he hates it when the arm 'falls' in front of him as he walks- he seems to keep up tho (cuz he works harder...) his left grip is weaker and suppination limited- basically its the same as it was when he was younger, he is just older- his arm DOES get tight, we use chiropractic adjustments and massage to loosen- he is very active depending on what sport is in season- (fall football he can be seen doing push ups slightly different, with everyone else) -warm water and swimming is good too- best of luck-