after all these years, still frustrated!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ironmansmom

after all these years, still frustrated!!

Post by ironmansmom »

My 13 yr old son, ROBPI just received his new "updated" home program from his OT...It was so much easier to help him do his exercises when he was younger...and now STILL feeling anger at the OB who caused his injury...tired of having to remind him everyday to do his exercises...I can't help but think that I wouldn't have to feel like I am nagging my child on a daily basis if he wasn't injured to begin with!!! UGH!!!!!

Can't help but feel anger towards the doctor still when we lost our case in the spring, I am sure he and his family are celebrating this Holiday....guess this is a feeling that will always be there.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: after all these years, still frustrated!!

Post by Kath »

I really feel for you. My mother nagged me to death, I was so tired of hearing " Kathleen use your hand, Kathleen thumb out, Kathleen you have to stretch." Yet it was the best thing she ever did for me.

As an adult, I was in pain and not going to a doctor because they know nothing about treating adult/obpi. I noticed that whenever I sat down to watch TV or rest my arm was curled in and my thumb was in. I hear her voice in my head saying "thumb out.".... I got treatment and began to stretch again. So your nagging words will, in the long run, help your son for the rest of his life.

I know that it does not help you right now but I hope it helps you feel better knowing it's a good thing.

I was never angry at the doctor because my Mother never once said his name or spoke about him. I guess it was her way of dealing with the pain he caused. She told me what happened and how he had his feet on the bed as he pulled me out by the head and shoulders. But never a name... I looked it up, on my birth certificate, after I found ubpn 11 years ago. Now that I am older and can get angry or frustrated sometimes.... I keep asking my husband if we could find a picture of him. I want my husband to make a DART board, with his picture on it, so I can throw darts at him with my good arm... LOL...

Hope your frustration lets up a little during the Holidays. Teenager are really frustrating as it is... My three kids were teenagers all at the same time and I felt as if I was nagging over some silly things. I always told them MY Mother was the biggest nag in the whole world and they were lucky... Now I realize she never nagged me about anything but using my arm and exercising.... Sorry Mom in Heaven... LOL...
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
AmberNicole0292
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Brachial Plexus on right arm due to birth.

Re: after all these years, still frustrated!!

Post by AmberNicole0292 »

Don't give up. The nagging will pay off. Im 18 years old and growing up was the same way but after awhile my mom had enough and stopped telling me i had to do my exercise. I very rarely ever did them still till this day looking back i wished she'd never stopped reminding me thinking maybe my arm would be somewhat more usable. Getting older will only get worse. just remember to never stop trying:)